Symbian Series 40 Phone + Bluetooth...Any Sync?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by asdf123, Jun 16, 2005.

1. asdf123 macrumors member

I'm beginning to wonder whether iSync really means noSync...
    I've just purchased a Nokia 6021, a Symbian Series 40 phone with the wonderful feature of bluetooth. I'm very excited for the bluetooth functionality, as I've never had the option (nay, the pleasure) to sync my phone with my PB. I didn't really purchase the phone for bluetooth, rather it was an added benefit to a great looking phone, at a great looking price, with the triband functionality I was looking for.

My observation: through all my Google-ing and searching of the local MacRumors forum, I haven't found any mention of a Series 40 phone working with a Mac, let alone iSync....something about the phone running SyncML and not mrouter.

My only real concern with this total abashment of my new fangled device is the total uselessness of the bluetooth feature, aside from the ability to use a bluetooth headset. BUT I HAVE A BLUETOOTH PHONE AND A BLUETOOTH-ENABLED COMPUTER? Doesn't that entitled me to some sort of connectivity?

OR...I'm blind and I'm crazy...and I haven't found a tutorial explaining how to bridge these to birds together. At least to use to phone as a modem.....

Any takers???

2. josepho macrumors regular

Okay,

First of all, the 6021 is not a Symbian handset. There are no Series 40 phones which also run the Symbian operating system, by the very virtue of it being series 40. The majority of the Nokia Symbian phones are Series 60, for example, the Nokia 6600, 7610, etc. In general, if you look at the iSync compatibility list (http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/isync/devices.html) you'll see that these phones will work, whilst no Series 40 phones are listed. This means that, for the moment at least, you won't be able to sync your phone and Mac through iSync.

You should, however, be able to use it as a modem. Now, I haven't looked into it in detail on Tiger (as I haven't had the need to yet) but certainly in the past to use your phone as a GPRS modem you had to download new modem scripts (http://www.taniwha.org.uk/). That is a fairly extensive site which guides you through the process. You don't give any further details about your mobile provider, which will of course dictate the settings you'll have to know to set up a GPRS connection. I would recommend getting the relevant modem scripts installed, then search for devices from your computer, find the phone, pair it up, and you should find that it brings up a dialogue box, which will guide you through setting up an internet connection, as the computer should detect the phones ability to do this. You will need the settings from your mobile provider for GPRS, but just to give you an idea, looking at the O2 UK mobile network you would use the GPRS APN as the mobile number (mobile.o2.co.uk) and the standard username (o2wap) and password (password). Using the Internet Connect program you should then be able to easily establish a mobile internet connection (though bear in mind that GPRS's maximum theoretical speed is around 43kbps).

So, to sum up, you can easily use it as a modem, but it is not currently supported by iSync (as with all Series 40 Nokia phones).

3. asdf123 thread starter macrumors member

Oops.

My apologies...I thought that "Series 40" connoted a Symbian OS, rather than simply the hard/soft model platform base of the phone. So I can use the phone as a modem...how about other apps? Sailingclicker? The like?

Edit: the 6021 is an EDGE handset...How does setting the phone as my PB's modem (in EDGE) differ from GPRS? Theoretically...shouldn't I be able to reach speeds of 177 kpbs?

4. josepho macrumors regular

Okay, you're right, it is an EDGE handset. All this means is that you'll have to download slightly different scripts from the page I gave you the URL for earlier (http://www.taniwha.org.uk). Under the Nokia section download the 3G scripts -- whilst the 6021 isn't a 3G phone these scripts will ensure you attain maximum possible speed. Of course, it depends what network you're using whether or not you'll be able to take advantage. If you live in North America it will depend whether you're carrier has launched EDGE in your market, if you live in Europe you'll be less likely to ever have access to it, as many European networks are electing to skip EDGE altogether and just go GSM->GPRS->UMTS (3G) (instead of the, for example, North American GSM->GPRS->EDGE->UMTS). Certainly, there is some EDGE in France, Italy, some Scandanavian countries, and in Eastern Europe, but most of Europe isn't going wild for EDGE. If you could provide more detailed information about which network you use, where you live, etc. then I might be able to be more detailed.

As for Salling Clicker, no, that will not work. Again, had you a Series 60 Symbian phone (7610, 6600, etc) then you'd be fine, but Series 40 phone don't, and probably won't ever, support such an application. Series 40 phones aren't nearly as expandable as their Smartphone big brothers.

Any more questions, don't hesitate. :)

5. josepho macrumors regular

6. asdf123 thread starter macrumors member

So currently I live in the States...but I purchased the phone for use while roaming in Europe. Its a shame that Series 40 phones are not supported by iSync, or other programs...but other phones in their class (such as the SE t610, or is it some other model)...Future possibilities for connectivity with OSX?

BTW...Firenze will be my main stay while in Europe, as I'll be studying there for a majority of the fall and winter. Question: do you recommend any cell plans while in Italy? I know that the plan system is much different abroad than the US, but which service provider has the best option for voice/data and roaming across Europe/Israel? Orange?