Symbian Smartphones and Mac OS X?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hkriffraff, Aug 20, 2006.

1. hkriffraff macrumors regular

I'm thinking of buying a Symbian smartphone, specifically the Nokia E61 or perhaps the upcoming Sony Ericsson P990. How do these phones fare for Mac users? Is there OS X software included? Are there third party sync apps out there? Any user experiences? If it's a bad idea, what alternatives are worth considering? I really want something with Wifi, so Blackberry and Treo are out :(

2. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

Symbian and Mac get along pretty well. Go for it.

3. Steve Jobless macrumors 6502

how about the n70?^ I'm pretty sure Nokia doesn't support mac.(the pc suite I mean)

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

My experience with Symbian (Series 60) and MacOS was great. They got along very nicely without needing any extra software. This was a 3650....

5. hkriffraff thread starter macrumors regular

If there is no Mac software included, how do you go about syncing iCal? Does it need to be a model specifically supported by iSync?

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Basically, using iSync, and yes, you're best off if it's on the supported phone list (you're on your own rolling the dice otherwise... do a search for threads here or elsewhere on that particular phone and iSync).

7. hkriffraff thread starter macrumors regular

Drats! I had my eyes out on the Nokia E61, which is just out here in Hong Kong and likely won't be supported by iSync for months, if ever. Are there 3rd party apps I can use if I can't get iSync to work?

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This may help you. That would've been the part about doing a search.