Symptom of dying airport card?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 8thMan, Feb 28, 2007.

1. 8thMan macrumors regular

8thMan

The airport in my 667 tibook keeps losing its signal. It happens randomly, sometimes every few seconds, sometimes every few minutes. It begins to receive again after a few seconds or so. Very annoying when downloading, AIMing, gaming, etc. I opened up the machine and checked all connections, which look good. It has an external antenna which also shows good continuity. Is this a symptom of a dying airport card? Help! :confused:

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I was having similar issues with my Alu PowerBook. My PowerBook G3 wasn't having problems. I'm not certain, but I think that it was because my G4 was in G mode (Airport Extreme), and my G3 was using B mode (Airport) and B gets a wider range than G. Combined with an old Airport Express (bought a week after they came out) which has been replaced by refurb Airport Extreme, I'm no longer having issues.

3. 8thMan thread starter macrumors regular

8thMan

I don't think this is a range or compatibility issue. The received signal has simply begun to randomly cut out.

4. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

If possible, try a different channel on the router. Also, using the "Interference Robustness" feature under the AirPort menu may prove helpful.

Good luck, I hope your AP isn't dying.

5. 8thMan thread starter macrumors regular

8thMan

Okay, I'll check that out, thanks. It occurs to me that I could also change out the AP with the one in my G4 Powermac. That would help to narrow down the problem.