Symptoms of a bad power supply?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by tbodine, Aug 30, 2003.

1. tbodine macrumors newbie

Hi.

What are the common signs that a power supply is dead?

Are there fireworks? Or is the Mac just dead as a brick when you hit the power key -- no chime, no sad mac, no hum or whir? (I currently have a MacBrick.)

I'm trying to keep an older Mac (Performa 6320CD) alive for awhile. I think it's either the power supply or the ADB port. But I have no experience with dead power supplies. (Replaced the internal battery 2 years ago.

Thx,
    Tom

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Other way around: If the power supply is defective, the Mac will be like a brick.
    I have suported quite a few Performa 6320s a couple of years ago, and once they hit the 3 years age, with daily use, many power supplies became defective.
    Usually no fireworks at all. But most of the time I could smell a faint "burnt" smell on the power unit.
    Also on the back, there is a small on/off button. If the back of the Performa is facing you, then the button is located all the way on the right. It's white, and more a "bubble" than a switch, if ya know what I mean. You can try to startup the Mac with that, to make sure it's not an ADB related problem.

3. tbodine thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! That helps pin it down.

Since you have been down this road, do you have any advice on the procedure to replace the power supply?

I see there are many similar models of Performa / PowerMac that share this form factor. Seems the processor or clock speed was the main difference among them. Do you think a power supply for any of the similar machines will do the job?

Thanks again!
    Tom:)

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

You're welcome.
    From what I remember, we did replace (once in a while, if we didn't have another 6320 to rip apart) that power supply by a 6300 or 6200 one.
    I recall it was quite a bit of a hassle to replace it though. Once you have done a couple, it becomes routine though... so it wasn't too difficult. :)