Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PROJECT359

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Texas, USA
Sorry if this has been mentioned before but I can't get help any where on this (not even from Apple).

I've had my AppleTV for over a year now and used to love it. But now it's driving me crazy and Apple are just annoying me.

Ever since iTunes 8.0 and AppleTV 2.2, I can no longer sync my AppleTV.

Here is my setup, iMac with iTunes and AppleTV on wireless network (Netgear). As I mentioned before, everything worked great but as soon as I grabbed the 2.2 update, nothing.

When I go to sync, it works for about 30 - 60 seconds and then stops. The AppleTV will then disappear from the Device list. The only way to get it back is to restart iTunes. Start the sync again, same deal.

Every so often, I'll get the port 3689 error and I'm not using a firewall on the Mac. My router has that port open and using a port checker, it tells me it's all open too. I've never had this issue before.

I've searched online and found people that have the same issue, but none of the fixes they mention work.

Am I alone in this as it's becoming very frustrating? Right now, I'm not buying anything from iTunes as it's pointless. I don't want to watch TV on the iMac, that's what the Apple TV is for.

Any news on fixes? Are Apple even aware this problem is out there? I get nothing from their support.

txtgeek

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2008
describe your system

weird. i've had the same problem lately!

what is your configuration like? here is mine:
1. I have parallels installed (yes i have to run XP for work :-/ ), and two "fake" network connections show up in System Preferences / Networking

2. I have my Firewall (in System Preferences / Security / Firewall) set to "Set Access for specific services and applications" with iTunes ADDED to this list.

3. Running Leopard 10.5.5, all up-to-date; iTunes 8.0.1

4. There are two users on this system. My husband's account (he's the administrator but I have his password too so I can make changes) and mine (a standard user).

That's all i can think of that's relevant. Is any of this sounding like your set up?

PROJECT359

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Texas, USA
I have a different setup. iMac and Apple TV on wireless network.

I found my issue to be the wireless router. I had upgraded the firmware and after trying everything else, I downgraded back to the original firmware.

All seems to be syncing as normal.

Check your wireless router firmware. If it has a new update available, try installing it. If you have recently upgraded it and the problem began, try downgrading again.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
i get the 369 error on occasion. it's usually right after i finish watching something. i think the atv is busy emptying its buffer and it has nothing to do with a firewall configuration. the other day, i couldn't get it to sync although it was showing up in my itunes. i just reset the atv by holding the menu and minus buttons down on the remote. it worked fine after that.

egrenouille

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2009
thank you

i get the 369 error on occasion. it's usually right after i finish watching something. i think the atv is busy emptying its buffer and it has nothing to do with a firewall configuration. the other day, i couldn't get it to sync although it was showing up in my itunes. i just reset the atv by holding the menu and minus buttons down on the remote. it worked fine after that.

Tks! this worked perfectly! :)

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Most of my Apple TV problems seems to be related to wireless issues.
I have three Apple TVs, two of which are now connected via ethernet and only one remains wireless (802.11n @ 5MHz). Far, far fewer problems with the hardwired units. In fact, now that only one is wireless, I think it too is behaving better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.