sync between 2 computers

Discussion in 'macOS' started by excalibur313, Mar 26, 2007.

1. excalibur313 macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

If I work between two macs, is there a way to have a single unified user that I can switch between the two using a flash drive? Said differently, is there a way to to set it so that when I plug in a drive to a mac I'm using it would sinc all my user data (docs, music, bookmarks etc) to that drive. If I then went to my other computer I could then just plug it in and it would update that computer with changes or additions to the documents or whatever. It would also be cool if this could be done through a remote drive somewhere. Kind of like an isync for life but automatic so it would make both computers seem like they are the same.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I use Chronosync over my network to make sure both my Macs have the same documents etc.

Another way would be to have you entire home folder on an external drive accessible from both machines.

3. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

Chronosync would do the job nicely. I am happy with the application. You can even set it to sync automatically as soon as the thumbdrive is inserted. However, there is a catch: to synchronize between two computers via a thumbdrive you would have to purchase two Chronosync licenses, since the software would have to be installed on two computers.

4. purelithium macrumors 6502

purelithium

What about just doing it over a network?

http://www.econtechnologies.com/site/Pages/ChronoSync/chrono_tips5.html

5. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

6. Mr.Texor macrumors regular

rsync and rsyncx are nice.. but are more of a back up solution, imo.. for syncs between 2 or more machines that are going to be edits, deletes, on the same files, unison is better, imo.

7. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

8. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I can't wait for Portal - definitely the MDA winner that I'm most excited about.