Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cuckoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2003
The Netherlands - Utrecht
Hi All,

I've dusted off my old G4-PM and set it up again. And i'm actually loving it, with one gig of memory it runs tiger pretty decent.

Only i've got a problem. I use my providers' mail <POP&SMTP>... And some other minor stuff, but my question is:

Is there a way to keep the PB and PM synchronised with contect of the home directory and mail <and stuff>? By any means <ie. wireless? bluetooth or whatever?>

I've got a .mac account, but it only syncs .mac mail...

Any ideas? Suggestions?

Greatly appriciated...

Cuckoo

hhlee

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2005
I'd also like a solution to this problem. Maybe automator? Might be sync files off a network... or maybe the easiest solution is just to have a mountable network volume for your PB which runs off your PM.

Cuckoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2003
The Netherlands - Utrecht
hhlee said:
I'd also like a solution to this problem. Maybe automator? Might be sync files off a network... or maybe the easiest solution is just to have a mountable network volume for your PB which runs off your PM.

Thought of that. Problem is a bit, i'd wish it would work like iSync.... <just sync when needed>

Get my drift...

<probably so, since you've got the same thing>

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
If you set your preferences in your mail client to "Leave mail on server" for a certain amount of time (or "Delete from server after one week), that will allow both machines to get the same incoming mail, as long as both machines check mail within that time period. It does nothing to synchronize copies of Sent mail, unless you BCC yourself on outgoing messages.

Otherwise, if you have a host that uses an IMAP mail server, mail will be retained on the server and available to both machines.

The method of connecting the machines isn't significant - they need to be networked, and whether it is by wireless, wired ethernet, Firewire networking, doesn;t matter.

You have a problem syncing mailboxes by transferring files over a newtwork, in that you can't merge two files, (most mail programs do not store mail in individual files, but have a single large file for each mailbox and folder, or in the case of Microsoft products, a single database file with the whole shooting match in it) You ocan only replace one file with the other. This loses any changes on the original files.

.Mac will synchronize your iCal calendars, AddressBook and Safari bookmarks.
There are third party programs that will do Address Book, iCal and bookmark syncing without .Mac.

SyNC sounds like a good proposition for syncing data files. Search Versiontracker.com for other options. Silverkeeper is another.

Scottyk9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
Canada
redAPPLE said:
i personally have not tried this one yet. i would love to have feedback, if it does the job.

http://www.decimus.net/synk/

I use synk and it works great for me. I use it primarily to keep all of my work documents in sync using a portable hard drive between 3 Macs. Have not tried it with the entire Home directory - but use it for specific folders (like documents, iTunes, etc).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.