Sync Blackberry Pearl with Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CaptainCaveMann, Feb 5, 2007.

1. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Anyone have a BlackBerry Pearl? Id like to know how well they sync with mac programs such as address book, mail, iCal? Photos of the datebook/calender on the Pearl would be awesome. Im really curious as to whether or not i can drop my phone and paper datebook in favor of one of these bad boys. Thanks! :D

2. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

My short experience with Blackberrys and Macs was awful. Personally, I'd get a Treo or wait for the iPhone.

See more here: Macworld article

EDIT: Just to be clear, I've never used the Pearl model, just an older Blackberry model. 7750, I think.

EDIT x2: It's all about good software, syncing software in particular. That's why Blackberrys don't mix well with Mac out of the box.

3. stylum macrumors member

3 days after accquiring a Pearl i´m still have no luck syncing with my MBP, the pocketmac solution hasn't worked for me and i think i'll have to wait 'til apple includes it on iSync or something.
    yuk

http://www.blackberryforums.com/mac-users-corner/13617-howto-use-blackberry-modem-laptop-mac.html

By the way this could be helpful when trying to use this phone as a modem with a mac, i haven't succeded in that either, but that's because this instructions are for an american carrier and i use a Mexican one.

4. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

I, too, have a Pearl. I got the internet stuff to work great, but I still have yet to make it sync.

5. DarthSimon macrumors newbie

I got my contacts into the Pearl. I had a 8703e from Verizon. I then ran Bootcamp with XP... You load up the windows Sync software, and there is a utility in there to transfer from BB to BB... Worked fine... 8703e then to the Pearl Cingular...

6. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

I had no problem sync-ing the Pearl with my MBP using PocketMac.. it was as easy as can be..

As for Mail, I didn't try to sync them - I'm using BIS to push my mail to the Pearl, so I can't say whether or not that might have introduced any problems, but syncing w/ the address bok was fine.

7. shecky Guest

shecky

i sync my ical, tasks, stickies, and contacts to my pearl from my mac just fine with pocketmac. the only quirk is the order in which you plug it in and open up pocketmac, do it the wrong way and it does not see the BB.

not sure what the soon to be released Missing Sync for BB will do but if it supports bluetooth (which i doubt) i am all over it.

8. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

I know this is a couple weeks old but I went to Cingular (reseller not corporate) today and the guy swore to me it was really easy to sync the Pearl with my Mac but I told him I wanted to go home and do some research and come back later. Well I found this thread and then I found this thread today.....

Blackberry Sync with Mac Link

This should be very helpful for all Blackberry and Mac users.

9. SCMaverick macrumors member

I had the Blackberry Pearl for about a month and it would work sporadically with PocketMac (I would usually have to unplug/replug a number of times before it would work). I've since switched to the Blackberry 8800 and uninstalled PocketMac in favor of Missing Sync's software. I've had GREAT success with their products for Windows Mobile and Palm. It worked great the first time I tried it and I can't wait for their full version that supports contact photos.