Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nomade

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 2, 2006
I'm a web programmer working mostly on a 2012 iMac and I would like to buy a Macbook air to do on the fly programming, excel, and photoshop.

I' m looking for a solution for syncing documents on the two mac without pain.

Do you have any suggestion for software or strategy to do that.

Thanks

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
Honestly, the easiest way I can think of to do this would be to use an OS X Server with portable home directories. Your home folder is stored on the server, and your iMac and Air would sync changes to that. Thus, both stay in sync. This is the setup I have at work ('09 iMac + '12 MBA) and it works very well.

That said, the cost would probably be prohibitive, especially if you'd be the only one getting any benefit from it. You might want to look into Dropbox with some extra storage and just use that as a "cloud" flash drive. This is what I do for my personal stuff.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Setting up git on the iMac and checkin/checkout your files from the source code repository ... For binary files rsync (within terminal) can be helpful to sync files.

Last edited:

dawser

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2011
Unison. It's free, bi-directional, supports also Linux and Windows files and works great. I have been using it for over one year and a half, daily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.