Resolved Sync iPad with iTunes - Already Set Up iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iThinkergoiMac, Jan 8, 2013.

1. iThinkergoiMac, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013

macrumors 68030

Purchased my first iPad today, and so far it's awesome, and I've barely scratched the surface. Ran into a MAJOR issue, though. I set up my iPad the way I wanted it by simply downloading my apps from the iTunes Store and using iCloud. I have a couple apps where I need to connect my iPad to my MBP to add the content (specifically VLC [from the App Store before it was banned] and Comic Flow), but when I do it asks me to set up my new iPad as new or from a backup.

What gives? I never had a problem like this with my iPhone 4S, even though I mostly set it up the same exact way. I don't remember exactly what I did in the setup process for my iPhone, but I did get it past the setup screen and I don't recall setting it up again as a new device. Is this normal behavior? Is there a way around this? For the most part, I won't need to connect my iPad to iTunes. I might want to put music on it every now and then, though I have a 32 GB iPod Touch dedicated to that purpose. Other than VLC and Comic Flow, I pretty much will be running this iPad without iTunes.

2. macrumors G3

Night Spring

Yeah, it's confusing. I forget what you have to click, I *think* you click set up as new, and then it tells you it is already set up instead of making you set it up again. But it's been a while since I did this, so I"m not positive. I just remember thinking, wow, that's really counterintuitive.

3. thread starter macrumors 68030

Hmmm, that would be odd. I think I'll wait for some others to respond as I'd prefer not to lose my setup accidentally. Thanks!

4. macrumors G3

Night Spring

Did you backup to iCloud? If you did, then you can restore from iCloud if something goes wrong.

5. thread starter macrumors 68030

That's true. It's backing up tonight, so I'll have to give it a try tomorrow.

6. thread starter macrumors 68030

Update: it is just as Night Spring said, just set up the iPad as a new iPad. It skipped any kind of setup and just went right to the normal screen.

Apple, take note: this is bass ackwards...

7. macrumors G3

Night Spring

Glad to hear it worked, Apple really needs to fix this!

8. thread starter macrumors 68030

Seriously. I was still expecting it to get erased and have to spend hours setting it back up!