Sync MacBook with iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kimi, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Kimi macrumors regular

My friend's looking to be able to sync his MacBook with his iMac. Is there anything out there at people would recomend that uses wifi to do it? (lazy you see).

It's for things like email, RSS, podcasts and things. Basically a clone of the iMac to take on the move if that make sense. (leaving behind some music, video and apps).

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Check out Folder Synchronization (not the light version). It has what you need to clone folders. Although I am not sure how it works with networked computers, but I figure it is fine. It also has timers so that you can have it synchronize at whatever time.

3. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

I dont know if you were looking for something free, but what about .Mac? Is that not an option?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

5. Kimi thread starter macrumors regular

I've got no idea why'd anyone would pay for .Mac. It's a rip off in most people's eyes. Not an option for anything. Paying is fine, but for something worth it. The fact he's a student, like me, means it wouldn't be an option even if it was worth what it costs.

6. sierra oscar macrumors 6502

.mac may be a little high in cost - but not much, when you consider what it offers you - perhaps when you had it kimi you didn't utilise all that it offered...

The daily backup feature to .mac is more than worth it. Not to mention access to iDisk where ever you are. For remote storage (sure there are other options) but none as sync'able with your mac. For an equipment theft, fire etc - nothing beats the security of restoring all your files with one click.

7. Kimi thread starter macrumors regular

I've never had it as it's not a good product. I don't need another email; I can make a boot-able backup my self, and boot from it with no trouble; the 20 GB portable HDD in my bag is good for getting at files from where ever I am (with out the need of the internet); I can get my own domain and web hosting for less; and as I never use and of the iLife things, integration with that means nothing. I wouldn't even have a use for the syncing as I've not got an Apple laptop (yet).

Anyway, anyone got anything else?

8. jonaslaberg macrumors newbie

@Kimi

OK, so you are in no way close to being in the target user segment. Do you also think wheel chairs are bad products because you can walk?

9. dandaman2 macrumors regular

Kimi's saying it's not a good product for this purpose or for a student.

I, on the other hand, am saying it's just not a good product. I had the normal MobileMe issues with it and didn't think it did enough for the price.

10. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

.mac would be the best option, however the price is a little steep, why don't you run your make on a vps? so your always working from the imac

11. geoffshep macrumors member

12. RangerFan104 macrumors newbie

Hello.

Has he heard of MobileMe? It costs an annual fee of 100 dollars but you get a .me account, an online database, and it automatically pushes new data onto all synced devices (such as iPhones or multiple mac computers). It sounds perfect for the thing he needs, and if he can afford a MacBook and an iMac he can probably afford a 100 dollar a year subscription. And if not he can sign up for a 2 month free trial at www.me.com

If you don't want to pay for it you'll need an external hard drive. Sorry.

Phil :apple:

13. geoffshep macrumors member

But it doesn't sync everything does it. Only mail, contacts, ical etc. If he wants to keep the whole thing sync'd he'll need something else.