Sync My Rating and Play count from iPod to iTunes

Discussion in 'iPod' started by cello in BC, Sep 20, 2005.

1. macrumors newbie

Hey all,

My 4GB Nano is on 'Manually manager songs and photos' and everything seems to work fine *except* ratings and play counts aren't syncing up.

Photos and podcasts are syncing fine and I've clicked 'Update' to no avail.

I am missing something? I've done a decent amount of research and I've poked around iTunes and the iPod and I can't see anything that isn't properly configured.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Ratings are a little thing, but they're alot of fun and help make really killer Smart Playlists!

Thanks!

2. EGT
    macrumors 68000

EGT

Most of the stuff on my Nano is from smart playlists based on rating and playcounts. I haven't actually checked if the playcounts and ratings (sometimes i change them) are syncing ok, but i assume they are. They do with the big iPod.

Have you downloaded the latest version of iTunes? An update has been released today.

3. macrumors 68000

Loge

You haven't done anything wrong. Play count and rating information is not updated if you are using manual updating of songs/playlists/photos.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey Loge!

Thanks for the reply.

If I put the ipod on auto manager then it picks all these random songs from my 20+gig collection. It's not really the way I want to use my nano.

What can I do? Why can't it sync the details, that seems odd since it updates podcasts. I mean, it's just a bit of XML isn't it?

Is there something I can do to perform a "bacth sync" ? Maybe some trick I can do once every couple of days to things in check?

Or some other way to manager the nano and still keep the songs I want?

Thanks!

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Well ... I think I found the work-around.

--NOTE-- You _have_ to have your iPod set to "auto-manage" in order to get stuff like Ratings to sync between the iPod and the computer. This is by design I assume (though it makes the "manaully manage" option *much* weaker in my mind).

So, I made a playlist called Nano, treated that as if it were the mounted Nano drive and "manually" managed the songs in that collection. Picking and choosing songs and albums until I filled up about 4 gigs.

Plugged in iPod and viola! Play counts, last played, ratings ... all good! Finally!

Everything syncs and I still get to "manually manage" all 4 gigs on my Nano.

Problem solved!