Sync problems

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Howard Brazee, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Howard Brazee macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

I have a smart playlist that contains everything except a few golf rythm audios that I don't want in my shuffled music.

Because of this, I have "Manually manage music and videos" checked.

But I haven't been able to synchronize. When I plug in my iPod, it takes some time doing something. Or sometimes I check "Synch Brazee's iPOD", which takes a long time. But I only want to synch changed stuff, as when I edit a song to enter in the composer.

So I thought I would try dragging the playlist to my iPod. When I tried that, every song was in there twice. So I manually synchronized - everything is still there twice.

I'm guessing I need to manually delete every other song now.

I still haven't figured out this synchronizing thing. (And I'm afraid to try from my iTunes at work).

I just tried deleting the playlist from my iPod. The playlist is now gone from there, but my songs are still there twice.

2. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

the only thing i can think of is to restore your iPod and start from scratch.

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

If you have selected 'manually manage music' then syncing won't do anything (other than sync up contacts, calendars, to-dos, etc.). By choosing to manually manage you'll have to erase/move everything on your own.

If you indeed have a smart playlist, the entire contents of which you'd like on your iPod, why not enable syncing (de-select manual management) of just that one playlist? Seems like a better solution to me.

4. Howard Brazee thread starter macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

That's what I have been wanting to do. In testing, I change one some info in a song, and try anything on the menu that looks like it might work, then I check it on my iPod and so far haven't gotten it to update.

Now I may need to get rid of all the songs on the iPod before synchronizing - or maybe not. So far, I have guessed wrong every time.

5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

If you uncheck 'manually manage music', then allow iTunes to sync your smart playlist, it will automatically erase all of the existing music on your iPod, then replace it with the playlist's contents.

6. Howard Brazee thread starter macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

I did this, and my songs reloaded (my movies don't load automatically despite their settings).

Trouble is, I am back to where I was to begin with - with my golf swings tempos mixed up with all of my other songs.

I want my golf swings tempos available for when I am working on the range. So I created a smart play list that excluded them. But I am having troubles keeping my iPod up to date when I do this. I tried a bunch of things.

Certainly it is not uncommon to want songs on your iPod that are excluded from random play.

7. Howard Brazee thread starter macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

After telling my iPod to synchronize automatically, I took it to work, and plugged it into my work computer. The work iTunes told me: "Some of the items in the iTunes library, including "Tom Traubert's Blues", were not copied to the iPod "brazee's iPod" because you are not authorized ot play it on this computer."

Checking, I see that my iPOD now doesn't have my new changes from home, and it doesn't have any of my purchased songs on it ("Tom Traubert's Blues").

Both my home iTunes and my work iTunes have this song.

I am infering that I must set it to synchronize when I'm at home, and before I dismount it and take it to work, set it to manual, copying music by hand between computers.

This seems unlikely though - I probably just don't understand how things work.