Sync two Macs without MobileMe

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by PsykX, Jan 6, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502a

Sep 16, 2006

I have an iMac at home and a MacBook Pro for school and I'd like to sync them together. More specifically, I'm looking into syncing my iCal database as well as my Address Book database.

I do not wish to pay for MobileMe, as I find it too expensive and don't have so much money to waste at this moment of the year, but I tried it and it worked like a charm. It's just overpriced though, especially for a particular (maybe for an enterprise they will use every buck out of this service, but not me).

I was wondering if there was a nice application for that... or an Automator script, of if I should try and figure out how to code my own Automator script?

Thanks in advance.
  2. macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
  3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sep 16, 2006
    I tried DropBox but it seemed rather complicated, it's not directly built-in (aka a simple checkbox to check and you're set).

But I searched a lot on the forums and found a really great application called Fruux. I tried it... it's a simple Preference Pane that you need to install on both computers and it's really great so far. It works without a hiccup and it's not old, it's still under development so the developers care about it.

Source :
  4. macrumors 603

Jul 26, 2004
    Montreal, QC
    Dropbox couldn't be simpler to use for file syncing, but fruux looks neat for syncing the extra detritus.
  5. macrumors regular

Jan 12, 2008
    So with these apps, addressbook/ical sync themselves? Like, do you need to hit a sync button, or do anything, or do they constantly update each other?
  6. macrumors regular

Jan 12, 2008
    Nevermind, I setup a DropBox and everything is synced, all gangbusters.
  7. macrumors regular

Jul 2, 2005
    For a "non-cloud" based solution, you can synchronize your computers to be identical in virtually all respects (or synchronize just a few folders) with Synk.