Sync two Macs without MobileMe

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by PsykX, Jan 6, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502a

PsykX

Hi,

I have an iMac at home and a MacBook Pro for school and I'd like to sync them together. More specifically, I'm looking into syncing my iCal database as well as my Address Book database.

I do not wish to pay for MobileMe, as I find it too expensive and don't have so much money to waste at this moment of the year, but I tried it and it worked like a charm. It's just overpriced though, especially for a particular (maybe for an enterprise they will use every buck out of this service, but not me).

I was wondering if there was a nice application for that... or an Automator script, of if I should try and figure out how to code my own Automator script?

Thanks in advance.

2. macrumors Core

miles01110

DropBox?

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

PsykX

I tried DropBox but it seemed rather complicated, it's not directly built-in (aka a simple checkbox to check and you're set).

But I searched a lot on the forums and found a really great application called Fruux. I tried it... it's a simple Preference Pane that you need to install on both computers and it's really great so far. It works without a hiccup and it's not old, it's still under development so the developers care about it.

Source : http://fruux.com/

4. macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Dropbox couldn't be simpler to use for file syncing, but fruux looks neat for syncing the extra detritus.

5. macrumors regular

So with these apps, addressbook/ical sync themselves? Like, do you need to hit a sync button, or do anything, or do they constantly update each other?

6. macrumors regular

Nevermind, I setup a DropBox and everything is synced, all gangbusters.

7. macrumors regular

For a "non-cloud" based solution, you can synchronize your computers to be identical in virtually all respects (or synchronize just a few folders) with Synk.