Synch Contacts from PowerBook and iTunes from PC?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by weldon, Jul 29, 2005.

1. weldon macrumors 6502a

weldon

Is it possible to manage my music on my desktop PC (which has loads of storage) and still synch my contacts from my PowerBook? Or will marrying the iPod to the PC screw up the contact synching?

Currently, I have everything on the PowerBook but I'm looking to move the music to the PC to free up space on the hard drive.

2. weldon thread starter macrumors 6502a

weldon

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So you want music from your PC and contacts from your Mac on your iPod? I guess you can set it to manual manage songs on the Mac -- when you plug it in, I think it should still update contacts and calendar.

4. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

I think you mean just the opposite. Synching is an automated process, so the pbook will want the iPod formatted in HFS. Use iPod updater to restore the factory settings/formatting with the mac, and I believe setting iTunes on the PC to manual management will be the best way to go about managing music from there.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If the iPod is formatted in MacHFS+, my understanding is that it will not be readable at all by the Windows PC. That part, I'm fairly certain about.

Doesn't automated syncing inside Mac iTunes work on Windows formatted iPods? I thought it did. And also that syncing contacts and calendars was a separate option from syncing music -- the option I think the OP wants is the one that makes managing music manual on the Mac. On the windows, where there is no sync of calendar information (I think -- or if it uses Outlook, then turn that off), then you can leave it on auto, and it will just do music.

But I'm not 100% sure of that.

6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Format it and sync on the Windows PC. Enable Disk Mode.

On the PowerBook use iSync to synchronize your contacts, etc.

That should work.

7. iWillard macrumors regular

iWillard

Yes, exactly right... keep your ipod in windows format so you can switch between the two computers... and manual music syncing is your friend...