Synchronizing iPhone/iPod with Network/ Shared Library

Discussion in 'iPod' started by groove-agent, Jun 15, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502

Hey all,

I have my mp3 library served on a Mac mini which is being used for my home entertainment system in the living room. I used it to watch / record tv, show photos to guests, and to play back movies and music.

I have a Macbook Pro, which I do all my work on and an iPhone. I can play back the library on my Mac Mini because it is shared in iTunes. However, I cannot use these songs to sync to my iPhone - probably because they don't want you to duplicate / copy someone else's shared library. I want to be able to load mp3s residing on the Mac Mini on my iPhone which is plugged into my Macbook Pro.

I tried to go into the iTunes preferences on my Macbook Pro and specifying the Library stored on the other computer. However, I am unable to do it. The library just appears blank. Any suggestions? I thought at one time in the past I was able to have one library, and have two macs use it without the sharing feature.

I know I could just sync the iPhone to the Mac mini, but it's in another room compared to where I work.

Thanks in advance.

2. macrumors 65816

I was about to ask the exact same thing as I've just moved my iTunes library to a server. However, from what I've found on Google so far, it doesn't look like its possible.

I guess this is to stop you from leeching music from shared libraries which you don't own.

Have just found this on the Apple forums....

3. macrumors newbie

I have done this and the library is there, but the playlists do not copy over. I also set up "sharing' but again, the playlists cannot be copied onto the iphone. I think I'll have to recreate the playlist on my mac based on the music stored on the network. if someone has a better idea of how to get the music to my iphone, let me know.

also, yes to the question if the other computer that has the actual music files is off or asleep or itunes isn't "open" then the mac won't be able to see the library of music.