Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm going to try the way in the 2nd post of this thread when I get back home. I hope this works https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1467495/

----------

I might give this a try too.

Cheers 3bs.. :)

Does anyone know if like iTunes match Google Music can match a lot of the songs in your library or does it require you to upload them all ?

I have 21,307 tracks = 135.6GB in my music library, and before I go signing up to another music service I'd be concerned I'd have to upload all that data, especially given our crap broadband speeds in Ireland.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Does anyone know if like iTunes match Google Music can match a lot of the songs in your library or does it require you to upload them all ?

Sadly at this time Google Play doesn't has a feature like iTunes match, so you have to upload all your music. It is indeed time consuming but once you upload the initial bulk, it is far easier to keep things in sync. Bear in mind that it only allows 20,000 songs. You also don't have to upload everything, you can choose specific playlists.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Cheers 3bs.. :)

I have 21,307 tracks = 135.6GB in my music library, and before I go signing up to another music service I'd be concerned I'd have to upload all that data, especially given our crap broadband speeds in Ireland.

I am currently looking at putting music online and checking out Google/Amazon

If you are interested in Amazon's offering they do a match service with their uploader, it does cost, but for $25/year you can store 250,000 songs (free for upto 250 songs, I am testing it out with this at the moment)

I had a look and think this is available in Ireland

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I am currently looking at putting music online and checking out Google/Amazon

If you are interested in Amazon's offering they do a match service with their uploader, it does cost, but for $25/year you can store 250,000 songs (free for upto 250 songs, I am testing it out with this at the moment)

I had a look and think this is available in Ireland

Cheers for the info will check it out :)

----------

Sadly at this time Google Play doesn't has a feature like iTunes match, so you have to upload all your music. It is indeed time consuming but once you upload the initial bulk, it is far easier to keep things in sync. Bear in mind that it only allows 20,000 songs. You also don't have to upload everything, you can choose specific playlists.

Just the thought of uploading 20,000 songs is off putting. Don't see the point in just uploading selected playlist, I either want it all backed up on cloud, or not at all.

towg

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2012
Cardiff
Indeed, this is what I did too, synced my iTunes library with Google Music and now I keep my music in iTunes in sync and access it with my S3 or from any computer by logging in with my Google account, can access them on my PS3 too and I will also have them available instantly when I get my Android tablet next month. It is really the best way to manage your music if you have an Android device imo.

I agree. Plus you dont have matching problems like you do with itunes Match (he he ironic or what) because all your songs are uploaded.

----------

and are in the states.... Sadly a lot of us will never get to experience this synchronicity.

I'm in the UK and used Tunnelbear. Its a very useful and easy to use app and I used it to sign up for the free months trial of US Netflix too.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I want google to provide a universal software solution that allows me to sync my data on my computer to their device and back.

Why on earth are you people trying to sync your phone with your Mac?

You should be syncing your Mac to Google's web services and syncing your phone to Google's web services, then everything works perfectly.

You're still stuck in the iTunes way of thinking which is last decades solution and your Android device was never intended to work this way.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

You should be syncing your Mac to Google's web services and syncing your phone to Google's web services, then everything works perfectly.

You're still stuck in the iTunes way of thinking which is last decades solution and your Android device was never intended to work this way.

There are some things Googles web services don't cover.

The ability to manage my applications and store them on my computer so I don't have to redownload them should I wish to move them on or off my device. Some games like Horn are 1.6GB Its utterly impractical to ask people to have to re download big files like that.

Whilst we're looking at work arounds for google music to work outside US for many those work arounds are still impractical due to bandwidth and broadband speeds., its still easier to sync them directly with the computer rather than waste my data cap (especially mobile data caps)

What about my photos and movies, I can't access my movie or TV content on googles cloud either or to sync my photos back and forth. Neither do google provide TV or Movies content here, or synchronise with the digital copies that came with my BD's.

Cloud may be the way to go in the future, but google doesn't provide full solution on its cloud for everything we store on our phones, or for all territories.

So to dismiss a simple software solution where all our content resides currently for a half baked cloud service that only covers half the content and not in all territories is not a viable solution.

Last edited:

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Just the thought of uploading 20,000 songs is off putting.

Just leave your computer uploading the songs in the background. Leave it on when you go to work so that it continues to upload, it will take a few days given the size of your library but when it is done, everything will be much better and easier.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Just leave your computer uploading the songs in the background. Leave it on when you go to work so that it continues to upload, it will take a few days given the size of your library but when it is done, everything will be much better and easier.

Yeah, I'm gonna give it a try. Nothing to lose. :)

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
This thread is full of misleading information. Not being forced to use something like iTunes is what makes Android superior. I can hook up my phone to any computer or device and all my files are readily available. No need for iTunes locking *MY OWN FILES*

I use folders for all of my stuff, I've never bothered with sync, I just don't see the greatness in it when theres no complete control over what gets synced and how much of it.

Don't get me wrong, iTunes is nice, but Apple needs to get its head out of its a$$ and allow users to take full control over whats rightfully theirs.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007

Yes, this is very much what I realised coming from an iPhone. Syncing everything with Google, moving to a Google ecosystem, is the way to go if you have an Android device. Everything works great this way. I was already syncing most things (mail, contacts, calendars, tasks, browser bookmarks/history and RSS feeds) with Google before moving to Android so the transition was rather smooth and now I also added music/podcasts with Google Play Music and photos syncing via Picasa and Google+ instant upload. It all works really great.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Just used browsertunnel to sign up and I somehow managed to install the Play Music app from my browser without using a proxy or anything. 17/1497 songs uploaded in the past couple of minutes :D

I changed my password before using browsertunnel because someone on engadget said they intercepted his password. Better safe than sorry.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
So painful.... I mean terribly painful....

Android file transfer doesn't work, doubletwist doesn't work... you have to use Kies (which blows by the way). Half the time Kies won't recognize my phone, and when I sync it puts movies I want on my SDcard into the camera folder on the sd card instead of the movies folder. Ugh! I can't wait until AFT or doubletwist are updated to work.

Use iSyncr... it's quite easy.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yes, this is very much what I realised coming from an iPhone. Syncing everything with Google, moving to a Google ecosystem, is the way to go if you have an Android device. Everything works great this way. I was already syncing most things (mail, contacts, calendars, tasks, browser bookmarks/history and RSS feeds) with Google before moving to Android so the transition was rather smooth and now I also added music/podcasts with Google Play Music and photos syncing via Picasa and Google+ instant upload. It all works really great.

Well one could argue being forced to use all Google services for syncing is just as bad if not worse (due to the amount of info google now store on you) than syncing with Apples services & iTunes.

Everyone (in android discussion threads) comments they hate the way your forced to use Apples services for syncing with iPhone as an argument against iOS HD for Android, but its just exactly the same if not worse in the Android universe too..... Accept I still can't backup my Apps :( .

----------

Just used browsertunnel to sign up and I somehow managed to install the Play Music app from my browser without using a proxy or anything. 17/1497 songs uploaded in the past couple of minutes :D

I changed my password before using browsertunnel because someone on engadget said they intercepted his password. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks for the tip on password... What broadband provider / speed do you get in Dublin 3bs ?

Down here in culchieville, we get 9mb down during day (night-time gets a badly hit by contention issues was down to .5 the other night) and .7mb up

Last edited:

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Well one could argue being forced to use all Google services for syncing is just as bad if not worse (due to the amount of info google now store on you) than syncing with Apples services & iTunes.

Everyone (in android discussion threads) comments they hate the way your forced to use Apples services for syncing with iPhone as an argument against iOS HD for Android, but its just exactly the same if not worse in the Android universe too..... Accept I still can't backup my Apps :( .

----------

Thanks for the tip on password... What broadband provider / speed do you get in Dublin 3bs ?

Down here in culchieville, we get 9mb down during day (nighttime gets a hotly hit by contention issues was down to .5 the other night) and .7mb up

I used to have 100mbps down and I think it was 8mbps up but now in my new apartment the best connection I could get is 30mbps down and 3mbps up but it's pretty consistent throughout the day.

WRXHokie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
Gotha, FL
This thread is full of misleading information. Not being forced to use something like iTunes is what makes Android superior. I can hook up my phone to any computer or device and all my files are readily available. No need for iTunes locking *MY OWN FILES*

I use folders for all of my stuff, I've never bothered with sync, I just don't see the greatness in it when theres no complete control over what gets synced and how much of it.

Don't get me wrong, iTunes is nice, but Apple needs to get its head out of its a$$ and allow users to take full control over whats rightfully theirs.

I agree with you, but this thread is about the S3 which you can't mount on the Mac currently cause google has a bug in their android file transfer program. They have yet to even acknowledge the problem, which is frustrating in and of itself.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Not being forced to use something like iTunes is what makes Android superior. I can hook up my phone to any computer or device and all my files are readily available. No need for iTunes locking *MY OWN FILES*

Which is fine, except (as is continually being pointed out) the Android FIle Transfer software to do this via USB does not work on these phones and the 'USB Mass Storage' mode is gone.

There are various alternatives (I've tried to start a list of constructive suggestions in another thread) but 'out of the box' the only obvious option is Samsung's 'keis' software, which puts you right back in exactly the situation you described with iTunes.

iTunes doesn't lock up your music - its all kept nicely organised by artist and album in plain files in your iTunes library folder, and if you do succeed to mount your phone you can just copy it across. iTunes also maintains an easily-decipherable XML mirror of the basic library metadata and playlists etc. The only issue is if you haven't replaced your years-old DRM-encrypted .aac files with new unlocked ones. Hopefully, common sense will prevail and DRM on video files and books will soon follow music DRM into oblivion. Access to Apps is an academic issue since even without DRM they would only be useful on iDevices.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Is there a way to get smart playlists to sync with Google Music as well?

I don't think there is, it just syncs regular playlists.

----------

Which is fine, except (as is continually being pointed out) the Android FIle Transfer software to do this via USB does not work on these phones.

My S3 didn't work before with the Android File Transfer app, but after I rooted it and installed Jelly Bean via Cyanogenmod 10, it now works and the app reads both the internal and external SD cards, allowing me to copy files to and from them. Maybe it has something to do with TouchWiz? Stock Jelly Bean works fine with the app.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I don't think there is, it just syncs regular playlists.

----------

My S3 didn't work before with the Android File Transfer app, but after I rooted it and installed Jelly Bean via Cyanogenmod 10, it now works and the app reads both the internal and external SD cards, allowing me to copy files to and from them. Maybe it has something to do with TouchWiz? Stock Jelly Bean works fine with the app.

That's a shame. I'm growing to love the Google Music app and I'll be needing it more when I get the Nexus 4 because of it's limited storage.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Not sure if this helps at all, it allows creation of smart playlists (live lists as they call it) and they appear to work fine in the google music app, I have only been looking briefly at them though

http://jrtstudio.com/node/20

it's an option in the iSyncr app

I'll have a look at it thanks. Does is allow me to filter songs based on the date added to iTunes? That's the only smart playlist that I really want on my phone.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
So painful.... I mean terribly painful....

Android file transfer doesn't work, doubletwist doesn't work... you have to use Kies (which blows by the way). Half the time Kies won't recognize my phone, and when I sync it puts movies I want on my SDcard into the camera folder on the sd card instead of the movies folder. Ugh! I can't wait until AFT or doubletwist are updated to work.

Airdroid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.