Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OCDMacGeek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
Now that the iPad is coming out, I wonder whether it will sync program data the way I would want it to. I would play certain games and save program data on my iPhone when I am out and about. When I come home, I might want to continue what I was doing on the iPad.

However, even if I synced both the iPhone and iPad with the same iTunes account, I don't think that the program data would transfer between the two. For instance, game saves from the iPhone would not be on the iPad, would they? How does this currently work if you have two iPhones, or an iPhone and a Touch?

If the program data doesn't cross over, you'd have to basically choose what games/programs you want to run on the iPhone vs. iPad.

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
Now that the iPad is coming out, I wonder whether it will sync program data the way I would want it to. I would play certain games and save program data on my iPhone when I am out and about. When I come home, I might want to continue what I was doing on the iPad.

However, even if I synced both the iPhone and iPad with the same iTunes account, I don't think that the program data would transfer between the two. For instance, game saves from the iPhone would not be on the iPad, would they? How does this currently work if you have two iPhones, or an iPhone and a Touch?

If the program data doesn't cross over, you'd have to basically choose what games/programs you want to run on the iPhone vs. iPad.

It won't sync the data as the files on the iPhone are stored in their own installation directory which is why when you delete an app all associated data is gone. In short and in reply, you can not do what you want to do.

infamousD

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2009
It won't sync the data as the files on the iPhone are stored in their own installation directory which is why when you delete an app all associated data is gone. In short and in reply, you can not do what you want to do.

That's a very brave statement, cosidering the device is not available for public yet and me neither you have used it. Apple may release a new version if iTunes which can somehow sync the app data, or the devices may sync their app data directly over Bluetooth of WiFi. I'd count for the first option, since any wireless direct syncing is potentionally unsafe. Many questions raise though, synce a lot of apps use their own databases with their own syncing methods (for syncing with a desktop app), so the sync results can easily become a mess if not used wisely.

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
That's a very brave statement, cosidering the device is not available for public yet and me neither you have used it. Apple may release a new version if iTunes which can somehow sync the app data, or the devices may sync their app data directly over Bluetooth of WiFi. I'd count for the first option, since any wireless direct syncing is potentionally unsafe.

Not brave at all. Just proves that I can read.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...ng_file_access_wireless_sharing_for_ipad.html

It explains how the new file system will work, and how file sharing will function. My reply was as to why the OP's request will not work unless all the data is in a central shared database. I could be wrong but from the way I read this, it does not appear that file syncing between the iPad/iPhone7IPod Touch will be possible. But the device is not out yet so who knows how things will change in the future.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Does anyone know if this is possible via any workaround? There are a few apps I use on both the iPhone and iPad, it would be nice for the data to sync between them manually.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
This needs to be remedied asap. Surely lots of people will use the same app on both their iPhone/iPod touch and iPad and will want their information updated across devices.

Corsig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
I think I might have to bite the bullet and get Mobile Me for this reason. Unless of course there is a Free method that Im not thinking about.

Penguissimo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2009
Michigan
I think I might have to bite the bullet and get Mobile Me for this reason. Unless of course there is a Free method that Im not thinking about.

You should be able to sync your contacts, calendars, email accounts, etc to both devices, since those all originate from your computer. MobileMe just lets you do it over the air.

I think that other people were talking about data from non-Apple apps (for example, game high scores and such). In this case, MobileMe won't help you either :(

DurfDiggler

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2008
I thought I was clever.

So, I went to the iPhone's backup folder, thinking I could maybe find the save file for my Need For Speed Shift game, so I could sync my progress from the iPad to the iPhone. Nope. Those files have completely arbitrary names. I thought they might be named like the "application-name".pref files for regular OS X applications. Nope.

Does anyone remember when they first connected their SECOND device, when iTunes asked if you wanted to restore from a backup? I swear iTunes gave me the option to restore my iPad from my iPhone backup. That might be a way to do it, basically, name them the same thing, and just sync them often. On second thought, I honestly would advise against this...

I named both my 1gen and 3G iPhones "iPhone". I had the 3G for a month, then accidentally deleted a text conversation, I went to restore, no backups since I got the new phone. WTF?! I watched as iTunes created the files, and noticed that the backup folders for the second iPhone were not being saved. They would be created throughout the backup process, then they would just disappear when it was done. So, I had no current backup. I changed the name of the second to iPhone3G, and it started working. Basically, iTunes' backup system isn't bullet proof, and does not like to be tricked.

Apple has to write this into iTunes.

So, everyone join me in writing feedback to Apple about this issue.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

They could at least add the option. It should not be left up to the developers to have "third party cloud syncing". What a waste of time and money that would be.

Honestly, they should have the option for different Users, especially for the iPad. Could just be as easy as locking the screen, wake, then swiping over your avatar to (password) unlock and load your settings and applications.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.