Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
I hate having to sync my apps when i sync my music, videos, etc. It slows down the syncing process SOO much. Is there any way at all to turn off syncing apps without it deleting them off of my phone when i sync? It kills me.. it really makes no sense. Isn't that the point of having the App Store on our phone.. so we don't have to sync apps? Unless i'm missing something.. this is really stupid. Any help is much appreciated.

Justinerator

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Redondo Beach, CA
It's for convenience. The only way around it is not to sync anything. You are the first person that I've heard that actually doesn't like this combination of apps+everything else during sync... Is there any reason you can't handle the extra 30-ish seconds your the sync takes? :rolleyes:

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
30 seconds? Ha.. i wish. It takes foreverrrrrr to sync/backup now. It literally takes 20 minutes.. from the first sync.. from the first few apps. I hate it.. I miss my 1-3 minute syncs.

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
I timed the backup the other day on the iphone - 8 minutes from plugging the phone in to starting to actually sync.

It seems every single time you plug the phone in it not only syncs the apps but all the data associated with them - which for some apps is a *lot* of data - instead of just what has changed since the last sync.

Luckily you can bypass that bit by pressing the 'x' during the backup. It's a pain but until itunes is fixed the only sensible option (unless you've got some really interesting paint drying to watch during the interim...)

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
Do you mean backing up the phone, or just syncing apps? You can easily tell it not to sync apps: click on your phone in iTunes, go to the Applications tab, and uncheck the box. As for backing up the phone, you just have to hit the X to cancel every time, no way to turn that off unfortunately. But note, that backing up saves the current state of all your apps, so you'll want to let it happen anytime something important was done in an app: you created a huge set of to-do lists, advanced far in a game that saves progress, etc.

junker

macrumors 6502
Do you mean backing up the phone, or just syncing apps? You can easily tell it not to sync apps: click on your phone in iTunes, go to the Applications tab, and uncheck the box. As for backing up the phone, you just have to hit the X to cancel every time, no way to turn that off unfortunately. But note, that backing up saves the current state of all your apps, so you'll want to let it happen anytime something important was done in an app: you created a huge set of to-do lists, advanced far in a game that saves progress, etc.

I have long (not more than 8 minutes though) backup and sync times as well. Personally, I would like to not backup everytime (herein lay my slowest part).

Also, when I uncheck the "sync all apps" button, It then informs me that "...I will lose existing applications and all their data."

Therefore, this is not a solution for me.

Also, what "X" button during backup are you referring to?

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
I have long (not more than 8 minutes though) backup and sync times as well. Personally, I would like to not backup everytime (herein lay my slowest part).

Also, when I uncheck the "sync all apps" button, It then informs me that "...I will lose existing applications and all their data."

Therefore, this is not a solution for me.

Also, what "X" button during backup are you referring to?

If you click the little (X) right next to where it says "Backing up iPhone" and the progress bar, it will cancel backup and continue w/ the rest of the sync.

Manatee

Contributor
Oct 20, 2003
Washington DC
Is the sync time for the apps based on the size of the app?

I ask because I haven't downloaded any large apps yet, but my backup/sync is taking much longer than it used to. I'm concerned that a huge app, like Texas Hold Em, would make the backup/sync take much longer.

If the backed up version of an app matches the current version of the app on the phone, I don't see why it would do the backup again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.