Syncing Email using OS X Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by netdog, Jun 10, 2006.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

It seems as if Apple's site is saying that while .Mac will only sync .Mac mail accounts, any accounts that I add to Mail (the local program) will sync with my other machines, adding those accounts and keeping the email synced between the two stations. I have email from my ISP (BT) and from my own domain (hosted elsewhere) so I receive mail from both accounts and send via my personalized domain provider's servers.

If I switch from Entourage to Mail on my iMac and MacBook, will mail synchronize the mail between the two machine so that I have the email on both, and so that when I delete messages on one, they will be deleted on the other? Can anyone point me to any in-depth articles on this?

Before anyone suggests, no, my provider doesn't offer iMap.

2. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

3. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

This is what I'm trying to figure out as well... :(

4. discoforce macrumors 6502a

discoforce

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, or if this would work with your setup, but I simply store everything on my server (change in : Preferences/Accounts/Mailbox behaviors) and set "Automatically synchronize changed mailboxes" in Preferences/Accounts/Advanced. I use mail at work and at home and each time I load it, it automatically syncs with whatever is on the server. I can even start an email at home and pick up where I left off at work without saving or putting in any mailboxes.

Works great :D

5. ramongnyc macrumors newbie

re; Syncing Email using OS X Mail

here's another solution for networked macs.

1. Copy the folders MAIL, MAIL DOWNLOADS, and COM.APPLE.MAIL.PLIST from your User's folder library to the User's Library of the other mac.

2. Download Softobe's Folder Sychronizer and install on either mac

3. Set up syncing for both MAIL and MAIL DOWNLOADS folders.

Now everytime you want to switch, just sync and viola! You can even schedule the sync regularly.

Hope this helps!