Syncing Firefox for OS X with portable firefox

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by inlimbo, May 31, 2005.

1. inlimbo macrumors 6502

I run Firefox for OS X on my PB. I also use portable firefox on my USB flash disk which I take with me (Portable firefox is not OS X compatible as yet I am told). Is there any (easy) way to import my bookmarks from Firefox on OS X to portable firefox (and visa versa)?

Cheers
    inlimbo...

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

3. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

wow, this is kinda cool! i've never seen this before:

http://johnhaller.com/jh/mozilla/portable_firefox/

looks like i'll have to put it on my shuffle :D

in terms of bookmarks - can you perhaps export them to a text file or something and then re-import them? just an idea.. :)

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Bookmarks -> Manage Bookmarks and then File -> Export will create an HTML file of your bookmarks. The same process but with File -> Import instead should bring it back into Firefox Portable. You might even be able to copy your entire profiles directory, or even your entire /users/(you)/library/application support/firefox/ folder, if you can figure out where it is located on the USB drive.

5. inlimbo thread starter macrumors 6502

Ha ha. Yes there is. Great idea i think. Especially if university is like mine and has restrictions on everything and makes u use IE.

Yeah I thought as much. I just wish it was easier. Wouldnt it be great if u could sync it like u go with iTunes-iPod and Cell phone-address book. Oh well.. maybe someone will create an extra or something to do it.

On my flash disk bookmarks.html is in the folder - Portable Firefox/Profile/.
    I guess u could set a cron job or use some sort of backup software (i.e Super Duper) to sync it on a regular basis.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Might be able to do it with an all-Finder Automator action or a script, especially if you can copy the whole profile folder over.

Try as an experiment (with a backup!) to copy over the folder:

Portable Firefox/Profile/.

With the folder:

/users/(you)/library/application support/firefox/profiles

on your Mac.