Syncing folders betwen two macs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Zaid, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Zaid macrumors 6502

I've just received shipping notice for my new iMac, and thought now would be a good time to ask for some advice :)

I currently have an iBook, that i will continue to use, and would like to have my iTunes Library, my Pictures folder and my Documents folder to be kept synced between the two machines.

Are there any applications that can be used to do this? Can iSync do this?

Thanks in advance guys

2. MemphisSoulStew macrumors regular

iSync won't do it, but there are plenty of options at Version Tracker - have a look at a few and decide which one works best for you.

Personally, I just connect two Macs together and drag and drop files between machines. This takes a bit of effort and care but I haven't lost anything yet.

3. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

You Syncronize 2.0 is supposed to be the best and if you are an academic person(student teacher, etc) it can be had for around $35 us. If not, then around $50 I think. Macworld gave it great ratings! I am getting ready to use it for my wife's ibook and her server at her school.

http://www.yousoftware.com/
    from web page description:

You Synchronize is designed for Mac OS X users who keep files in more than one location and need to synchronize those files on a regular basis. With You Synchronize you can effortlessly backup or synchronize files and folders.

You Synchronize takes the concept of standard folder synchronization to the next level by maintaining a database of detailed information about the files and folders you synchronize. When you synchronize your folders, You Synchronize uses this database to determine what files were added, removed and modified since your last synchronization.

With You Synchronize you can work on files in multiple locations at the same time without hesitation, confident that your changes will be replicated the next time you synchronize your folders, without data loss or redundant data duplication.

4. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Whilst You Synchronise does look promising, You Software is getting seriously hated on at the moment from their customers regarding the price bump on You Synchronise and for replacing Executive Sync. It's pretty pricey as well.

I'd check out SilverKeeper, reviews are pretty good and it's free.

5. Zaid thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys

I'll try them both out
    You Synchronise looks very promising, and at £25 is not expensive either.

6. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I guess it depends on how accurate you want your syncing. You Synchronize seems to have the most accurate method, I don't know anything about silverkeeper. If you check out the you synchronize web site or macworld review it describes the different methods of syncing folders between computers and how some methods are not as accurate as others.

good luck

7. iPoodOverZune macrumors regular

iPoodOverZune

Try ChronoSync

For those of you who are looking for any recent apps for syncing folders (besides the costly .Mac approach), try ChronoSync for syncing folders on two or more macs.
    http://www.econtechnologies.com/site/index.html

It is universal and looks pretty good and not that costly. The above softwares seems to have been abandoned.

8. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

Alas SilverKeeper is not yet compatible with Leopard at the date of this post.