Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
After hours of research, I'm finally making a thread about this. It's very simple. I know you can sync Google Calendars(GC) with iCal, so anything you change on your GC will sync to iCal, but I need a way to do the opposite. iCal››Google Calendar.

I know there is a $60 service that does this, but there must be a free way! I've had no luck searching Google for answers... Why I want to sync with GC is because I want my family to be able to see my calendars, but I don't like using GC, I much rather enjoy using iCal. Much nicer user interface; unlike Google which is very bland. (As is Google's way) Anyone able to help me out?

And no, Mobile Me is not an option.

Thanks

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Ok... so I set that up but it only syncs Google Calendar events to my ical, not the opposite. :confused:

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
AFAIK it will only sync events that you create in iCal in the Google Calendar (in the "GOOGLE" section of the Calendar list on the left), and not events created in the "ON MY MAC" section (Home, Work, etc.).

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
AFAIK it will only sync events that you create in iCal in the Google Calendar (in the "GOOGLE" section of the Calendar list on the left), and not events created in the "ON MY MAC" section (Home, Work, etc.).

Yes, you are correct. If I drag and drop events from my cal to the Google section, it will sync them, but it then also changes it to a Google event instead of whatever event I had it under on my iCal.

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
Yes, you are correct. If I drag and drop events from my cal to the Google section, it will sync them, but it then also changes it to a Google event instead of whatever event I had it under on my iCal.

Also true. This is one of my few remaining annoyances having ditched Mobile Me. I could live with only using the Google calendar within iCal, but unfortunately events created on my phone (K800i) can only be synced (via iSync) to one of the "ON MY MAC" calendars and not to the Google one.

So, creating an event on the phone, and then having it sync to all Macs involves syncing with one Mac, then moving the event to the Google calendar.

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Bummer. It seems like there would of been something done about this by now. It must be mostly Apple wanting to push people towards Mobile Me and not Google.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.