Syncing iTunes libraries cross-platform

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pianodude123, Jul 28, 2006.

1. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

Since I buy all of my music on my Powermac, and manage the songs and titles and whatnot all on my powermac, I would like to have it so that the Library on my sTinkPad is an exact replica of that on my powermac. Also, I would like them to be able to sync up over my home network. I know this sounds complicated, but it would GREATLY simplify my life if I could make it happen.

2. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

I've tried Sync-o-tunes...but it is too...well...beta-ish and it isnt cross platform.

3. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Make sure all the user names etc... are the same.

Set the directories so they all point to the same place. It worked for me. I used to 'sync' 4 PCs and a Sound Bridge. As long as I didn't try and edit the library on more than once computer at once, it worked fine!

4. Moe macrumors regular

You want to synchronize your iTunes folder... the one that contains not only the iTunes Music folder but also the database. I think if I were going to try this, I'd turn on Windows sharing on the G5 and try SyncToy on the PC. There's also a white paper on that page you might want to read.

[edit] ...on second thought you might have a problem with authorization of purchased music if you sync the whole iTunes folder... might have to selectively do the iTunes Music and library index file.

5. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

That really makes things difficult. If you sync the same XML file, then if you for example import an entire album on one computer, and then listen to ONE song on the other, and then sync the two, you will erase the album you've imported from the library file....

6. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

7. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123