Syncing across a macbook and mac pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by yanga, Oct 23, 2006.

1. yanga macrumors newbie

Oct 23, 2006
    I have done a search on this forum and several others and though this topic has been touched upon, I wanted to know if there was an update or, at the very least, clear step-by-step instructions on how to do this.

My current setup is that my mac pro collects email from several POP servers (and, no... I don't have access to IMAP). I would love it if the messages received and sent on the Mac Pro could be reflected in the macbook's application. I know that people have suggested rsync or even Unison but I still haven't read any confirmation that these two methods actually worked. How would rsync or Unison synchronize Mail's database file?

Is there another methodology that I haven't considered? I looked into Tiger Server but that would involve a number of things: a) $$$ b) a bit overkill c) mac pro has to be on and always connected. Furthermore, it would appear that Tiger Server doesn't work well on the Mac Pro. There has been near universale reports that Mac Pro's firewall setup will screw with service maintenance. (Their serial number check prevents accessing service management even if there is only one copy of the server running in the intranet)

If rsync and Unison is the way to go, what are the step by step instruction to ensure that the two are sync'd?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR