Syncing Mail...will this work?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by netdog, Jul 6, 2006.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I have a .Mac account, and a personal domain hosted elsewhere (which is where I get and send my email, and they do not offer IMAP).

What I want to do is keep my email synced on both my iMac and MacBook.

In my experience using yet another domain, it is possible to forward mail from a domain to a service like my ISP, and get the email from that POP account, but the mail still shows as being addressed through my domain, and not through the ISP....so....

If I have my email forwarded from my primary domain to my .Mac account, use Mail (or Entourage? I currently use this) and set my reply-to address as my domain, will it be possible to then pick up my mail at .Mac, not appearing as forwards, and keep my mail synced on both my computers?

Will every mailbox be synced?

Does it matter if I use Entourage instead of Mail?

Anything I am missing here?

Thanks!

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

My solution to this problem was to sign up with Fastmail. You can set up Fastmail to grab your emails from all your various email accounts into a single inbox, with IMAP access. If you create a mail account on both your systems that accesses the Fastmail IMAP account, setting the return email address as your personal email address, then all the emails you send will appear to have come from your personal email address.

This setup has been working great for me for ~2 years.

Good luck