Syncing my iBook and iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kevinmyers, Sep 4, 2005.

1. kevinmyers macrumors newbie

I recently bought an iBook to accompany my iMac and let me work out of my room. However, it was become tedious to manually sync folders on my iBook with the same folder on my iMac (ie: iPhoto library or documents). It would make my life easier if a piece of software could sync these folders when I connect the two machines. I have looked around, but I wondered if anyone here would know of anything that would help simplify my life.

Thanks!

2. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Ditto - I'm off to uni though at end of month.. but I'm going to miss my G5 (although it is accessible from the net). However, I'm buying a 250gb external hard disk so I can completely back up my G5 (completely - as no one will be using it while i'm in uni) and then come back at Xmas and merge the two.

3. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

A .mac account might be what you're looking for, but of course you have to pay (a fair bit) for it.

4. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Unfortunately the bandwidth required to swap photos and music from iBook to Mac via .mac (the internet!) is faster unbelievable. Think of backing up a 12gb itunes folder! Not going to happen! Plus .mac doesn't support this.

5. kevinmyers thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah...i thought of .mac already...

i would love to find an automater action/workflow or an applescript that would do it...but i am clueless as to where to look (other than google searches, that were, for the most part, fruitless)

6. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

This is a feature long overdue. Apple just doesn't get it, lots of people like to use there 'books to due work on the go, but then bring it back to the home base (iMac or Powermac or Mac Mini). It is the same idea as with the home folder on the iPod, it should be an extension of the digital hub. .Mac is a joke for syncing anything but what could be held on a cell phone or PDA. Hopefully someday someone will create an app that does this, til then I guess just use smart folders and copy the items to a real folder and transfer them to the main mac.

7. Eluon macrumors regular

Great post

I have been wanting a piece of software like this for a while. I have an iBook G4 for class and my iMac G5 for all other work. I'd like to have the two automatically update when I wish.

I hope someone here knows of software.