Syndicated columnist, noted Texas liberal Molly Ivins dies of cancer at 62

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Jan 31, 2007.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-me-ivins1feb01,0,2004380.story

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Sadly, she was not carried in my local paper. But I did read her book, "Bushwhacked"...and it was infuriating. Al Franken and Jim Hightower can write about Bush with a touch of levity that takes the edge off, but Ivins' stories about were about individuals who were screwed by Bush administration policies. Yeah, I finished the book with a bleeding heart because the mofos didn't give a damn about chemicals near people's homes giving them cancer, only about things like giveaways to drug companies.

She was a feisty broad, and I don't think she would've objected to that description. Ivins was one of a kind, and now she's gone, and there's no one quite like her to replace her.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

oh man, i found out just today that she was even sick. i was going to shoot her an email and wish her well. damn.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Wow... that's gonna leave a big hole in Texas that won't easily be filled. Not to mention the rest of us too. She was one hell of a lady, she just had a way with words that could cut right to the chase.

And to lose her and Ann Richards so close together... Some things just ain't right.

6. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

It sounds like you and her were buddies.

7. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Minneapolis police force named their mascot pig after her? Too funny!

I wasn't a fan of her political bent, but she was a damned fine editorial columnist. I never nodded off reading one of her columns. A lot of columnists could take some lessons from her writing style, that's for sure.

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

10. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Ivins earned the respect of her political opponents, which is the real tribute to her formidable intellect and great wit.

11. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Molly was definitely Good People. I was around her mostly during her years at the Texas Observer, co-editing with Kaye Northcutt. She was a very, very good investigative reporter. Jim Hightower hadn't yet gotten into electoral politics, yet (Ag Commish), and Ann Richards was still married to David and was yet to become county commissioner in Travis County. Scholtz Garden was a regular hangout for the political crowd, along with Another Raw Deal.

She didn't suffer fools at all, much less gladly. :) I always enjoyed her skewerings of the Lege's stuffed shirts. Who knows? She might have been the one who originated, "A thousand clowns are back in town," when the Lege began its session.

Definitely a loss...

'Rat

12. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

According to her full obituary in the LA Times, she was responsible for writing that when the state Legislature convenes it means that "every village is about to lose its idiot."

13. Grakkle macrumors 6502a

Grakkle

That's too bad. While I've never liked most political columnists, Molly Ivins was different: funny, honest, and biting.

I for one think she was about the best of her kind. She will be missed.

14. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

That sucks! She was great! Damn, didn't even know she was sick.

15. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Can't someone just send a get well email? Not that big of a deal.

16. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Yeah, we've had a fair number of folks in the Lege who'd have to double up on their smarts to make "stupid". Still do. If there were a little box on the driver's license that said, "Smart", it would be blank.

I think it was back in her Observer days that the word started getting out about the mis-writing of the Texas constitution. It says the Legislature shall meet for 140 days, every two years. Wrong. It should be for two days, ever 140 years.

Molly had fun, with such characters as "Bedroom Ben" Barnes as Speaker of the House and then as Lt. Gov. That boy didn't have to work at it; he was just naturally born crooked.

One thing for sure: The people in the world of politics provided Molly with a plethora of ready targets. :)

'Rat

17. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Last night the NewsHour ran a piece she did for them during the mid-80s on Texas public art (which in her certified Texas twang she pronounced "ort"). It was howlingly funny. She ended with the thought (illustrated) that the statue on top of the dome on the Texas Legislature buiilding should be replaced with a flying pig.