SyndicationAgent: The bane of my existence!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by IJ Reilly, Jan 15, 2006.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

After the 10.4.3 update I began to see the application SyndicationAgent appear in my Dock. It bounces, remains open for a few seconds, then quits. I know what this application does, but it should do its job invisibly. I managed to set it straight last time by tossing out all of my syndication preference files. Now, after the 10.4.4 update, SyndicationAgent is back, and deleting preferences does not make it return to stealth mode. This is not happening on other users on this Mac, so I think a bad preference file is still the culprit.

But there's more: If I look at the application SyndicationAgent (which is buried deep in the System Library), it has a zero k size, and no package contents. On my other Macs, it's 64k in size, and has package contents. This is suspicious, so I copied SyndicationAgent from another Mac, logged into the problem Mac as root and attempted to drag-copy it into the directory. The Mac reports this application as being in use and denies copying. I can't find a process in the Activity Monitor which has syndication anywhere in the name, so I might not be able to kill this process without playing Russian Roulette.

Any thoughts or ideas?

2. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

For clarification for those who don't know what it does, the SyndicationAgent gathers RSS news feeds for Safari. If it's launching when you log in, that would suggest it was added to your startup items....check the system prefs, /Library/StartupItems/ and ~/Library/StartupItems/

3. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It isn't launching when I log in; it's launching on the schedule set in the Safari preferences. Even if it did launch on log-in, it should be invisible.