Syria, oppresing the Kurds, & Muslim oppression

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SlyHunter, Apr 15, 2004.

1. SlyHunter macrumors newbie

SlyHunter

Nobody seems to like the "Kurds"
    story is too long.
    http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=12953

Problem is we can't save the world :(

2. Desertrat macrumors newbie

True, we can't save the world. Worse, however, is that we'll make allies in some particular area, and then go off and leave them in the lurch. We've already done this at least once with the Kurds; I sorta lose track...Maybeso twice, already? Much like the Montagnards in Vietnam.

I may understand realpolitik, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

'Rat

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

It's not our job anyway.

4. SlyHunter thread starter macrumors newbie

SlyHunter

But what if those kurds decided to fight the only way they know how and start blowing up movie theaters and bus stops in Turkey, Egypt, wherever? Something they might do if its proven to have worked for the Palestinians.

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The reason that Turkey continues to be refused an invitation to join the EU is because of the Kurds. Not only have the Turks historically oppressed them but also the Kurds haven't taken it lying down and have lashed out quite viciously. It's been going on for a very long time, much longer than the Palestinian/Jew problem. It's not a matter of what if, it's a matter of how much longer can this continue without some kind of solution.

gw the 1st totally dumped on the Iraqi Kurds when he urged them to rise up against his buddy SH following bush gulf war I.

Just because you read a headline doesn't mean the issue is new, just that the right is trying to milk it for their own political gain and justify Sharon's rape of the Palestinians.

6. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

This is a terribly old story. It is ironic that David Horowitz finds this to be a problem now that it is blowing up in Syria. Funny how good old David never said a word when Turkey's repression of the Kurds was at the forefront. Could it have anything to do with looking for an excuse to go into Syria? Nah, I sure it is just a coincidence. :rolleyes: I'm all for supporting Kurdish national rights, but the drumbeat for expansion of the war is a dangerous thing.

Heh, welcome back 'Rat! I haven't seen a post by you for a while.

7. SlyHunter thread starter macrumors newbie

SlyHunter

Didn't want to start up a new topic this almost fits into iraq war but it kinda fits here too.
    I said in another thread Syria might be next. And its coming closer to coming true.
    I hope if we attack Syria nobody waste time saying how they didn't have any links to terrorism.