System = 100% CPU

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by musicpyrite, Aug 19, 2004.

1. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

The tittle pretty much says it all.

Well, I don't know what to do.
    I've repaid permissions twice.
    Logged out.
    Restarted twice.

When I go into the Activity Monitor, my CPU is running 100%, and 80%+ is coming from the System. I've tried to sort the processes by how much they use, but no single process is taking up more than 5%, and most of them read 0%.

It's not the Finder, as some other people have reported.

Any ideas?

btw, I've mad sure to quit F@H. ;)

Attached Files:

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

sort by CPU, or whatever you have to do to find which processes are going full blast. Sometimes, I get a WindowServer process that acts up, and I log out and back in, and that fixes the problem.

3. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Clean install your OS?

If that doesn't work it's prolly the logic board.

4. musicpyrite thread starter macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Check out the pic below, from the number below, I should only be using 27.6% of my CPU, but the monitor sill says 100%.

I was thinking about re installing the OS, but I want to leave that as a last resort.

And why would the logic board cause this kind of problem? (if it in fact is the logic board)

Attached Files:

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Are you sure it isn't something silly you added to destroy your computer like Konfabulator or Norton?

6. musicpyrite thread starter macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I don't use norton, because of the horror stories I've heard from here, and I'm too cheap to buy it.

And I haven't installed any kind of software in the past week and a half, or don't any major changes that could cause this kind of problem.

Just browsing the internet, listening to music, and chatting for me.

7. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Well... I was having some noticeably strange performance issues, more with the RAM however, and I found that kernel panics kept happening which were associated with logic board problems.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Any updates in that time, sometimes they will send something off the deep end.

System Updates are usually really good at doing this if a program has a kext file.

9. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

It is almost definitely NOT hardware related from the sounds of it. My guess is that there's a hidden process not showing up in Activity Monitor. Type "top -o cpu" in Terminal to run the process manager and sort entries by cpu. This may reveal something that Activity Monitor isn't showing. Hopefully this will help you out.

10. musicpyrite thread starter macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Yes, I did update to 10.3.5 2 days ago.

But the problem seems fixed, I don't know what was causing it though.

I ran a hardware check, nothing
    Repaired permissions
    updated prebindings
    daily, weekly, and monthly periodics

One of those seems to have fixed it.

So problme fixed for now. :)

Too bad it wasn't a logic board or something more important, I would have waited a few weeks to see if I could get one of those new G5 iMacs, but fat chance, I'd still probbably get a G4 :eek:

11. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Well I'm glad. I ran all those tests, and came up with nothing - did the clean install and still got panics, so mine was CERTAINLY hardware related.