System 7.5 on Old Mac Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macpcperson, Nov 24, 2006.

1. macpcperson macrumors newbie

I've been trying to put system 7.5 on a 7600/120 with a Sonnet 604e 200Mhz upgrade, but it doesn't work what can i do? and is it possible to run system 7.5 on an Upgrade PowerMac 8500 with a 333Mhz G3 upgrade?
    Thanks...

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You could start by explaining what you mean by "doesn't work." Won't install? Won't boot after installation?

To the second question, I suspect only the manufacturer will know the minimum system requirements for any given CPU upgrade. Who is the manufacturer, BTW?

3. macpcperson thread starter macrumors newbie

It says "This Mac is Not Compatible" along those lines, and what's odd is that 7.5.2 shipped with the 8500, and 7.5.3 on the 7600. The manufacturer for the 604e is Sonnet, and the G3 333Mhz is a NewerTech MACHSpd.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You can't install a version that's older than the one that came with the system. There is a full 7.5.3 installer on Apple's FTP server.

5. macpcperson thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I know that you can't install an older version but I've tried the original version, is it a System Enabler Problem?

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It won't be a system enabler problem if the system is not installing, which I presume it is not.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If it's not booting at all, then chances are that it is an enabler problem. If it's the installer that's failing, then it's probably not the enabler.

8. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure that you need to upgrade to a higher version. I'm not sure which one, but at everymac.com, it usually shows the minimum version of Mac OS that will boot on a machine.

9. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

You can try installing system 7.6 or 7.6.1. If you are still having problems, system7today.com forums will probably be able to help out. :) Good luck.