System 7 Pro

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by DZ/015, Oct 24, 2006.

1. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

Having recently acquired some older systems capable of running system 7.1, I reached into the depths of my past and pulled out my System 7 Pro install diskettes. Unfortunately, the "install me first" diskette is missing. I have in my possesion all of the others.

On to my request. Does anyone out there have these diskettes? Would one of you kind souls be willing to make an image or copy and send it to me? I would be most appreciative.:)

2. David Schmidt macrumors 6502

David Schmidt

System images from Apple

Apple has install diskettes, actually. If you have the ability to move files from the internet to one of your older Macs (sometimes a chicken/egg scenario...) you can get them here:
    http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html#system
    Note they have 7.5.3 available, not 7.1.

3. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Apple does not have the original install disk from your set. You can not use the original install disk from another set with yours.

4. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Speaking of system 7,(Rather then start a whole nother thread) is it possible to downgrade? I have an old iMac G3 (Tray loading) with 8.6. Oddly enough,dpaanlka, this is the first time I looked at your site. Is it possible to downgrade this iMac to system 7? I know Apple has it availible for download on thier site, but will it work?

5. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

No. The minimum OS that you can use with any Macintosh is the OS version that it originally shipped with.

6. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

Doubtful, it won't run versions in System 8 earlier that the on the discs is shipped with. Here's a support matrix for 8/9. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25114

7. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

A simple way to remember is to keep in mind the G3 is the dividing line:

Every PowerPC Mac that Apple ever shipped with a G3 processor or later can not run Mac OS 7.

Every PowerPC Mac that Apple ever shipped previous to the G3 can run Mac OS 7.

8. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

well, that sucks. guess ill sell my old packard bell, and buy... i dont know. The beige G3's won't work either, will they?

I guess... hmm. I need a mac that has an all in one monitor, but is not as big as a Powermac all in one... anyone know of any?

9. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

No...

Many System 7 machines can, of course, be upgraded with various aftermarket G3 and even some G4 processors that are System 7 compatible (best ones are from Sonnet)

10. DZ/015 thread starter macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

Thanks for the info on Apple's download site, but I have been there. And, as stated, System 7.1 and its variants are not there. Neither is 7.6. No matter on those because I have full install sets of 7.0.1, 7.5, and 7.6.

I would use 7.5, but it is overwhelming to install it on an LC or Color Classic. I will hold out hope that someone out there has the needed diskette.

11. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

Its awesome the feeling you get when you resurrect an old machine. I have a performa 6116 cd with a whopping 600megs of hard disk space and 72 megs of ram that still works, dont use it anymore, but it still does work.

12. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Frackin' A!
    I dug down to my lowest bookshelf, and there, in the shoebox marked "Original Mac Program, Driver and System Disks" is a full set of System 7 Pro. Got the original box, too ;)

(and 6.0.7, and Imagewriter LQ, and a complete PageMaker install on TWO FLOPPIES :eek: and Global Village install disks, and Abaton scanner disks, and General Computer Hyperdrive FX20 (yes, that's 20 MEGAbytes, grasshopper) install disks, and... and...)

Next job is seeing if the floppy drive in the Beige G3 still works.

13. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

HAHAHAH, I still remember getting my 56k global village in the mail with a free system 8.0 upgrade.

14. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

DZ, I have the System 7 Pro disk images on my hard drive now

email me a sales a-t canadaram d-o-t com if you still need it.

15. DZ/015 thread starter macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

Message sent, sir. I will dedicate my next virgin sacrifice to you!