System crashes on Windows reboot

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Nermal, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Hi everyone

I have a brand-new 15" 2.33 MBP and I'm trying to set up Boot Camp. In OS X, I have no trouble with rebooting; I can reboot from the Apple menu or choose a different startup disk etc, and it reboots without issues. However, whenever Windows attemps to reboot the system, it hangs with a black screen and I need to turn my MBP off and back on.

This problem is not related to a failed installation of Windows, because it still happens even if I boot the Windows CD and cancel out of the installer. I've tried two different Windows CDs.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Edit: It happens in Linux too.

2. the80y macrumors newbie

I have the same thing, I got into windows just fine, installed the drivers cd and then on reboot, I get a blue screen hard re-boot even in windows safe mode.

3. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

I don't get the black screen, but occasionally Windows will hang on the "Windows is Shutting Down" screen for 5-7 hours, then randomly start working normally again! Then again, I accidentally installed SP1

4. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Are you also on an MBP?

Edit: Hmm, I installed Windows again, and although I had to manually reboot a few times to get it all installed, I successfully booted back into OS X from the Startup Disk control panel.