System icons

Discussion in 'macOS' started by darwen, Jan 10, 2007.

1. darwen macrumors 6502a

darwen

I changed some of the icons for folders like library, home, movies, applications, ect. this morning. I then picked up a copy of CandyBar and would like to get my old icons back. I want to make sure I can always revert things to the original icons if I get sick of the new ones. Where are these original icons located? I know in 10.3.x there was a system file that contained the backup. I am on 10.4.8 and am looking for the file though. I didnt edit that file, I just did the easy cut and paste through Get Info. If I could get the file with all of them I can go back and edit them one by one before I start using CandyBar.

I would like to put them back. Can anyone help?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You should be able to just do a Get Info on the folder, click on the icon to highlight, and hit delete to revert back to the standard icon.

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

In CandyBar can't you just select Restore Icons.

Never actually tried this but i just assumed that this would restore the system defaults.

4. darwen thread starter macrumors 6502a

darwen

Why didnt I think of that! Thanks, it worked. If anyone does know where that file is though I still would like to know.

5. darwen thread starter macrumors 6502a

darwen

No, I tried that. It just takes away the modifications candybar has made.

6. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

As you might already know, Candybar has a restore icons feature that will revert icons back to the system originals. But I'm not sure how and where Candybar gets that information from, so I don't know if it will revert the ones you've already changed (before you started using Candybar) back to the original system icons or not. You could always run Candybar and select restore icons before you made any additional changes, but I'm not sure or not if it will restore the ones you've already changed. No harm in trying though.

Edit: Jeez, I guess I need to learn to type a lot faster (or a lot less)

7. darwen thread starter macrumors 6502a

darwen

Weird. It actually worked for the applications like iPhoto but not the folders like Music. Anyway, all is good now.