System lock up with black&white text, what happend?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Earendil, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

So I'm driving down the road at night with my PB 1.25ghz 15" baby, running Panther 10.3.2 when all of a sudden the music goes out and starts making static noises (music being fed to car by the PB). I look down at my screen and almost wrecked the car because of what I saw. My poor baby had spewed black bars containing white text all over my screen. The computer was locked up. I try and find a place to pull over as my computer keeps yelling for help over my car speakers with this loud "I'm dieing" static. I finally pull over to the side of the road and take a closer look at what the text said. I wish I had had a camera, because I knew I wouldn't remember what all was written. It looked like a diagnostic read out of sorts. The only line I remember was something like "CPU = 0" near the top. There were probably 15 lines of text, ranging in width from 1/4 screen to 3/4.

I did a hard restart and she fired right back up again. What happened to my baby? and how do I keep it from happening again?

Tyler
    Earendil

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Kernel panic. What made it happen? Probably hardware related--like a hard drive bouncing around in a car? How do you keep it from happening? If you know what causes it, don't do it. Apart from that, they happen when they happen but they're pretty rare.

3. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    if you added ram that could cause kernel panics

just remove the offending ram and observe if it is the ram get it replaced.

4. Earendil thread starter macrumors 68000

Earendil

aahh haa, so this is the "kernal panic" I hear of?
    I am pretty new to OSX, my previous computer, a bondi iMac, still sits in pre-OSX days.

The system, though not one of the "stock" PB that Apple lists, is one that was modified at Apple.com. I haven't changed/modified/added any hardware whatsoever.

Not saying hardware from apple can't be to fault, but this is the first kernal panic in the 3 and a half months I've had the computer.

The only possible hardware problem I can think of is my PB's tendency to not always wake from sleep. I fear the logic board, but with a small white spot on the screen as well, I'm going to let a few of these problems amount to something that I can stick a finger on, and so point out to Apple when I send it in for the screen. Two birds with one stone and all that.

Could a logic board cause a kernal panic?

Tyler
    Earendil

5. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Oh hell yeah! It would probably do some other things too, but it would end up causing kernel panics.

I was only half kidding about the hard drive causing it. If the hard drive can't be read, as might happen if it got a few good hits while running in a moving car, it could cause a kernel panic.