System locking up...?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Flux Harmonic, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Flux Harmonic macrumors member

I'm a new mac user, having switched from windows about two months ago. I've noticed that in Tiger, my apps freeze up a lot more than they did in windows. And when they do, it seems these days that a force quit can't resolve the issue. Once one program is locked up, it's just a matter of time (and a short one at that) before the rest of my programs lock up, and eventually the system. I'm having to force-reboot my mac (a SP Powermac G5 circa May 2005) something like 5-6 times a day. This is in addition to my box frequently being unable to come out of sleep and/or screensaver properly.

Is this -normal-? When I got my mac in the mail, it came installed with Panther and a Tiger upgrade dvd, so I assumed I had to do an upgrade or archive install, when I would have preferred to have just done a wipe and reinstall. Could this be affecting my system performance? Is it maybe my 512 mb of ram? I'm just amazed that this could be happening in a 64 bit system, when all I'm running are apps like firefox, adium, ical and textedit. And occasionally Office 2004.

2. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

The Single Processor 1.8 GHz Macs are kinda finky. Set your Processor speed to Highest, and the Sleep option to "Never Sleep" which should help.

Also when you were upgrading from Panther->Tiger there were options in the bottom left of that Installer screen that said "Customize" or "Options" which you could have used to Erase Install, or choose what components you wanted to install, etc.

3. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

Also try running hardware test to see if there is any problem with it. This sounds like it could be RAM but I believe your came with stock so I am not sure of that. A clean install would alse help eliminating any problems with OS.

4. nichos macrumors 6502

nichos

kinda finky is no excuse - somethings definitly wrong with that machine. That is not the way macs are to act - sounds like the drive may be bad? Maybe the ram?
    Nick

5. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Very odd. Try resetting RAM maybe?

If I were you, I'd do a clean install of Tiger. Before you do though, make a full backup of everything, including your Classic system folder (since Tiger doesn't have one).

6. Flux Harmonic thread starter macrumors member

Fresh install, eh?

I'll have to go buy a second hard drive first to back up all my stuff...Can't easily burn 12 gigs worth of AACs onto dvds.

My next question is...what internal hard drives are compatible with a powermac g5? I've been browsing the stores online, and it seems that the standard hard drives available at say...best buy...don't have the same dimensions as the ones specified in my g5 manual (even the supposedly mac compatible ones). Can you use a standard PC hard drive?

7. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

quick, how much apple care warranty is left? Call apple, if you have major issues, and they fix it for free :D if you have warranty.

8. Flux Harmonic thread starter macrumors member

I'm a student...I can't afford applecare.

I did a repair permissions and reset the ram, and everything seems to be going smoothly. I'm going to try reinstalling Tiger once I get a second HD in there, and get back to y'all.

Thanks for the help.

9. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Boot off the Tiger DVD and repair the hard drive

10. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

You might not have AppleCare, but the warranty lasts a year. Are you near an Apple Store? Take it to the Genius Bar and if there's something wrong with it, they'll fix it for free.

11. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

AppleCare is actually 1 year hardware with 90 days of phone support, and you can upgrade it to 3 years of each when you buy it.

12. Flux Harmonic thread starter macrumors member

So I ran a repair disk permissions, and now my box runs smooth as a baby's bottom. Thanks guys!

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Glad to hear you didn't fall for the clean install "solution." This is almost never necessary on a Mac.

Another day, another recommendation of AppleJack. Run this every month or so and you will have virtually no problems.

14. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Good to hear, but the SP G5s are more finky than the other G5s, and your symptoms were exactly the same...