system maintinance

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by KiDrOck80, Jul 8, 2005.

1. KiDrOck80 macrumors member

KiDrOck80

Is there any system maintinance i should perform on a certain basis? Like in windows, theres Disk cleanup and disk defragmentor? Is there something that has to be done to keep my computer from slowing down?

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

1. From the terminal:
    sudo periodic daily weekly monthly

2. Repair permissions once and a while. (good call tobefirst)

Other than that, nothing.

3. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I think he means repair permissions. Unless there's something else that I've been out of the loop on. :)

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Sorry you are correct. I'll edit my post. :eek:

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

OSX defragments automatically, so no worries there. As a regular procedure, I would at a minimum add logging out or better yet rebooting every few weeks. This clears the virtual memory cache files that tend to build up and slow things down. I'm also a huge fan of AppleJack, a maintenance tool run from single user mode. It automatically checks the disk for any errors, repairs permissions, clears caches, looks for corrupted preference files and does those Unix cron jobs that won't get done unless you leave your Mac running 24/7.

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

If you have your Mac on 24/7, then Mac OS X automatically runs a daily, weekly, and monthly maintenance schedule. It's best to run Repair Permissions after a large updates or installations. It isn't necessary to defragment in Mac OS X.

I also run System Optimizer X once a week.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/13321

Cocktail and Xupport are also good maintenance programs that can be found at Version Tracker.

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

and on the other hand.....there are lots of people who never do any maintaince at all and their machines work just fine....not having to constantly do maintaince is why a lot of people use Macs in the first place