Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twistedlegato

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
My stupid cousin accidentally deleted system preferences!

It wont show up in finder or in any other way!

I try to change the desktop background and it wont open the system preference screen for that either!

Can any one help!?

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
what about the blue Apple in the top left corner > System Preferences?

what about through Spotlight (or Quicksilver, if you have that installed)?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I take it this person deleted the System Preferences.App file? Is it in your trash? If so, just drag it back to the apps folder.

Otherwise, your best bets are either to use Pacifier to pull it off the install disc or have someone e-mail you a copy of the app from the same version of OS X.

One third possibility that *might* work is to get the latest combo updater for your version of OS X and install it, as I think this program is updated once in a while and a new version of it just might be in the install file.

twistedlegato

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
I take it this person deleted the System Preferences.App file? Is it in your trash? If so, just drag it back to the apps folder.

Otherwise, your best bets are either to use Pacifier to pull it off the install disc or have someone e-mail you a copy of the app from the same version of OS X.

One third possibility that *might* work is to get the latest combo updater for your version of OS X and install it, as I think this program is updated once in a while and a new version of it just might be in the install file.

could you email it to me?

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
Not sure if this works, but does creating a new admin user return it?

Nevermind... I suppose you can't create a new admin user without System Preferences. Oh, wait... the preference pane for, well, every preference is in System > Library > Preference Panes. See if they'll open on their own without the System Preferences app.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Only if you have a PowerPC mac. :(

He has a Macbook, i'll email it to you in a couple of hours or so when i get back to my mac if you havent sorted it by then. Check your private messages for my email address and drop me a quick email. I Have an iMac Core 2 Duo with 10.4.8 installed so hopefully it will work with your Macbook.

Rich

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.