System Preference icon is out of whack??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Bern, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I just spent most of last night reinstalling onto a new 120GB HDD. It's running just fine accept I've noticed the "Universal Access" icon in System Preferences is way out of whack (take a look at the pic below).

Is there something I can do to fix this?

Attached Files:

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Close System Preferences, then look for a file called "com.apple.preferencepanes.cache"...I think it's in in <your user directory>/Library/Caches. Drag it to your Desktop and then try opening System Preferences again. If all looks well, you can go ahead and trash the file you dragged to your Desktop.

3. Bern thread starter macrumors 68000

Bern

You clever little dickens :D That worked, thank you.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Those darn corrupted cache files...they'll get you when you least expect it. :D

You're welcome!

5. dandiggs macrumors newbie

Another thanks WildCowboy for helping me fix nearly the exact same problem! Any ideas on how this happens? On second thought, I may not want to know the answer...:)

6. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

I had the same issue pretty much from day one of my MBP with Speech, (wish I'd captured it first now). Followed the above and problem resolved. Didn't ask anyone because it was minor and wasn't annoying me just yet.

Thanks.

7. mistuk macrumors member

Top tip! Just worked for me with a corrupt sharing icon. Have you submitted this one to macosxhints.com - you really should.

Cheers,

Kev