System Preferences crashing

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by iLai, Oct 27, 2003.

1. iLai macrumors newbie

Oct 11, 2003
    Oh woe is me !! System Preferences crashes immediately when I try to change my screen saver/desktop option.
    Has anyone else had this problem. I ran disk utility to repair permissions but there was nothing to repair !
    I did have my home file encrypted and that wrecked havoc on all my files. iPhoto pictures disappeared. Safari lost all bookmarks including that presaved ones that usually come on the bookmark bar. Doesn't have the imported bookmarks from Internet Explorer. Dock kept reverting to the original, all system preferences reverted to original. I haven't checked all my files yet to see if they are O.K. I even did a clean install!!

I feel like Alice in Windows Land.
    I've never had problems before on a scale like this, Is there a MacSuffer site anywhere with more tales of woe.
    One must be stoic and Zen like to get through this .
    Next time I think I'll wait a few weeks before installing a new operating system.:eek:
  2. rdoyle720 macrumors newbie

Jun 3, 2002
    Same thing happening here...Is there a permissions file to trash? We tried repairing permissions...
  3. rccsvt41 macrumors newbie

Nov 14, 2003
    Leesburg, VA
    I had the same problem last night. For me I think it was cause by navigating (in the desktop preference pane) to a photo directory that I didn't have full permissions to. I logged out of the current user, logged in as my other user and resent all permissions to read and write. This seemed to fix the problem. btw, I maintain all photos outside of user directories (in a folder on the root Macintosh HD level) and use iPhoto Library Manager to constantly ensure that my permissions enable access by all users. Good Luck!
  4. hesitaliandad macrumors member

Jul 25, 2003
    same thing happens to me, and i was wondering if i was the only one. i will try what rccsvt41 suggested. thanks for the tip. :)