System Preferences Customization

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by keysersoze, Nov 11, 2004.

1. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Could someone tell me how to remove the .Mac icon from my Sytems Preferences panel? I don't use .Mac. I will never use .Mac. I don't want that icon there...

Or is it not even possible.

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Ok, did you put it there, because I see Network, not .Mac. Hope you have your icons in order first. If you did put it up there, just drag and drop it off, and poof, its gone.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Move the file (it's actually a directory bundle but it'll look like a file) Mac.prefPane from /System/Library/PreferencePanes to somewhere else (don't delete it, you might want it later...).

You almost certainly need to be root to do this so you might want to do it from the Terminal.

4. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Negative. I didn't put it there... it's just there. And dragging it off doesn't work. I am talking about System Preferences, not the Toolbar or any other place like that. I tried option-clicking it etc. but that didn't work.

5. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Oy. I don't know about that... (meaning, you are probably right, but if I went into terminal I would probably foul something up really good). I guess there is no really dumb/easy way to kill it then?

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Open the Terminal and type:

sudo mv /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Mac.prefPave /Users/<yourusername>/Desktop

Hit return
    Type your password.
    The .Mac preference pane is now on your Desktop.
    When you start System Preferences it will be gone :)

To undo type:
    sudo mv /Users/<yourusername>/Desktop/Mac.prefPane /System/Library/PreferencePanes

Take care!

7. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Ah!
    You rock!

Thanks for the help-- you have no idea how long that .Mac icon has irritated me.