System Preferences GONE... Help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pdpfilms, Sep 23, 2005.

1. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

I just recieved a new Hard Drive, to which I wanted to move over all my files from my boot disk... essentially clone the drive, but only copy over what i needed.

I tried Carbon Copy Cloner, which kept giving errors.

SuperDuper! would lock up my computer.

I decided I'd install OSX fresh onto the new drive, then transfer over pictures, music, preferences, applications, etc.

Overall, it went perfectly. I've got all my applications running (with the exception of photoshop and bridge), and all the contents and preferences are working as usual. However, when i went to change my dock and desktop background, i ran into this:

[​IMG]

That's it. ALL my preferences are missing, except for those three. I figure I must've accidentally deleted or replaced a preferences file I shouldn't have. Does anyne know what file this is? I still have my old drive with everything on it, and its mounted so i can just drag and drop it to wherever.

But I'd really like my preferences back...

Attached Files:

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

your preferences are supposed to be stored in System >>>> Library >>>> Preference Panes

you can try and find them on the Install disc and then transfer it over or maybe something just got named incorrectly

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....if all the files are indeed in the proper folder then you may want to try deleting the file com.apple.preferencepanes.cache from your home/library/caches folder - that can sometimes resolve "missing" pref pane problems....oh yeah!

4. pdpfilms thread starter macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

You are my (demi) god.

5. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I take it something was labeled incorrectly.

I did that once with the reciepts folder and repairing permissions always failed till i fixed it