system preferences gone

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by longey774, Jul 3, 2006.

1. longey774 macrumors newbie

hey um...im kinda a total idiot atm lol i kinda accidenty dragged my system preferences from aplications to the trash an then emptied it :eek: an i cant work out how to get it back, how do i get it back???:rolleyes:

2. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Here, try extracting this into your applications folder:

Attached Files:

3. longey774 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you thank you thank you :D it works
    thanks for the file an your time :)
    im real idiot sometimes:rolleyes:

4. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Hey no prob. I've deleted some of the folders in /System/Library/ - means bye bye computer. Anways, don't mention it - do you have an external? If so make a backup of your system via Carbon Copy Cloner or NetRestore.

5. yahhhkayyahhh macrumors newbie

i need help

hey i did the same thing, i tried to download that but it said it didnt fit my version? i need help i have a mac book pro, can somone send me it?

need to fix my computer:p

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you could provide your Mac OS X version, it would be easier to give you the right version.

Number 2 tells you your version:

[​IMG]

The System preferences I attached are for Mac OS X 10.6.4.

Btw, you can edit your posts via the [​IMG] button, or multi-quote posts via the [​IMG] button, as sequential posts are "against" the rules.

Minor Problems

6. Sequential posts.
    Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a short period of time.

Also have a look at the following links (if you haven't already), as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics

Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

Attached Files:

7. nice110 macrumors newbie

mac system

hi i have a problem with my mac book air i did something wrong i made windows on my mac and i format all the HDD so i lost all the mac system now i need help to get it back i have the original CD os x but when i boot from the CD it's making restart all the time pleas any one can help

8. simsaladimbamba

Does that mean you can't boot from the grey Restore DVD via holding down C or OPTION/ALT immediately after the startup sound?
    If you can, use Disk utility to erase the HDD following the guides below and reinstall Mac OS X on that newly formatted HDD. If that is successful and you want to install Windows, use Boot Camp Assistant ti create a new partition for Windows.
    Guide on how to use Disk Utility from the restore / installation DVD.
    Format Your Hard Drive Using Disk Utility
    Partition Your Hard Drive With Disk Utility

If that doesn't work, have you tried any of these steps?

Maybe creating a new thread might yield better results, as the topic of this thread has nothing to do with your problem.

9. HarrisonLeney macrumors newbie

How can i get my system preferences back??

Hi,
    I have a similar problem, I accidently deleted my system preferences and i really need it back :(
    Can you send me a attachment (or whatever its called :p) so i can get it back?
    My version is 10.5.8

10. simsaladimbamba

If you have your grey Restore DVD or a Retail DVD with 10.5 on it, you can use Pacifist to extract. I am on 10.6.7, thus I can't provide it.

11. gboswellsac macrumors member

12. simsaladimbamba

Preview and its Annotation tools (open Applications / Preview and press CMD+SHIFT+A when you have an image open) can do that.

Annotate PDFs with Apple’s Preview
    How to Annotate Images in Preview

13. gboswellsac macrumors member

14. waltzj macrumors newbie

I deleted system preferences for my Model Identifier: MacBook4,1

Can you help me with mine? I deleted the system preferences a long time ago and didn't think there was any way of getting it back.

15. simsaladimbamba

Tell us what Mac OS X version you use, since the Model Identifier you posted tells us nothing, except that you have a Mac from 2008.

To find out what Mac OS X version you run, click :apple: > About This Mac:
    [​IMG]
    To find out, what exact Mac model you use, click :apple: > About This Mac > More Info > Hardware Overview:
    [​IMG]
    To see a more elaborate image explaining the above steps, click here.
    To see a more detailed video tutorial showing the above steps, click here (2 MB, 23s, .mp4).​