Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redsled

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
I started out with an issue of mail shutting down unexpectedly.
After some troubleshooting, I found out that it was the sound notification after download was complete, that was causing the problem. Now here is the problem; when I try to go into sounds under systems preferences, it goes directly to a "system preferences quit unexpectedly". Thus not allowing me to get into the sounds settings.
Oh, just to add some mystery to the puzzle, my wife's has her own user side, and she has zero problems and is able to access sounds with no issues.
So, how do I get into sounds, or make changes to it for my side?

redsled

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
Anybody? Any ideas, suggestions, other posts? Surely somebody has had this problem.

Last edited:

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...try nuking the pref file from *your* library/preferences folder - I think (but not 100% sure) that it's com.apple.systemsound.plist. That should set it back to the default. Another thing to try is checking assorted plist files using a utility like Onyx (free, and quite useful for all kinds of little tasks)....oh yeah!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.