System Preferences Unexpectedly Quits.....

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sethypoo, Dec 9, 2003.

1. sethypoo macrumors 68000

Hello all,

For the past 24 hours, whenever I go into System Preferences, and then to the Desktop and Screensaver pane, System Preferences unexpectedly quits. What gives? How can I fix this? I've sent two bug reports to Apple, but I know they won't get back to me. Help!

Thanks,
    Seth

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

If you've done this by right-clicking (control-clicking) the desktop, stop doing that--it works that way for me too.

Open System Preferences and go to Desktop and Screen Saver and it works fine.

3. sethypoo thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm not right clicking on the desktop though, I am going through the dock. I guess I could try it through the Applications folder.....

4. sethypoo thread starter macrumors 68000

Weird.....I went into my Hard Drive, then to the Applications folder, and then double clicked on System Preferences.....it opened up, I clicked on the Desktop and Screensaver pane, then on Choose Folder, I selected my desired picture and it worked fine! I deleted the System Preferences icon in the Dock, and replaced it by draging the System Preferences icon from the Applications folder to the Dock. Now, it's working fine!

I guess I fixed my own problem. :)

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Why put it in the dock or use it from the Applications folder when it's available through the Apple menu?

Maybe my dock is fuller than yours and I don't like scrolling through the Applications folder, but I also think it's simpler to find those kinds of things in that one place. :)

Anyway, glad it's working for you now.

6. sethypoo thread starter macrumors 68000

I dunno, my dock has 15 items in it, including the finder and trash.
    Also, I like the system preferences icon. It's always been there in the dock, so I see no reason to remove it.
    Yes, I am obsessive compulsive! Heh heh heh.

But thanks for the advice!:D :D

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yeah, 15 is fewer than 59, somewhat fewer. :D

You can afford to have that icon in there.

"Press 5 repeatedly"