system profiler will not launch...?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by knowhowthief, May 31, 2006.

1. knowhowthief macrumors newbie

System Profiler app will not open; either from location or from the "about mac" panel. this isnt the only time this has occured, i vaguely recall having this problem with some other apps too. the only thing i can think of is a permissions issue...so i ran disk utilty to prepare them. this still has not helped and so now im trying to think what the cause and solution would be...a screwed up preferences file?

thanks

oh right im running 10.3.8, i downgraded from Tiger because of some incompatabilty issues with improtant software i needed...

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

have you rebooted? and when you say downgraded did you do a fresh install of 10.3 ?
    and do you have any third party hardware installed on your system

3. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Downgradeing, was it a re-instal?

Is this happeing after a reboot?

4. knowhowthief thread starter macrumors newbie

oh i downgraded a while back, fixed permissions, etc...the g5 works fine save for the occasion neurotic mac error (windows dont receed behind the one i am interacting with...).

this hasnt occured enough for me to even recall what other apps it did this with, but the fact that its my system profiler makes it a bit abnoxious no wthat i notice it.....

no third party hardware yet
    re-install? i just ...yeah i archived the old system(10.4) and disposed of it after the reboot, install 10.3 in place. originally the mac had 10.3, upon purchase i installed 10.4 didnt like it, re-installed 10.3 again...again this was months ago

5. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

so did you wipe your hdd as you can not install an older os on a new one

well i don't think so anyway :eek:

6. knowhowthief thread starter macrumors newbie

...no. the swap back and forth between the OS were archive/install-in place...i really didnt want completely initialize my hd...now that i think of, it was a bad assumption to think i could drop an old os over tiger like that...thx

7. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

well it might have muddled it up but i doubt it .

do a get info on system profiler Tiger version is 4.1.1

not really too sure what you can do though apart from instal 10.3 again

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Link

9. knowhowthief thread starter macrumors newbie

ahhh yes...the incredibly obvious over sight...this explains alot. newer versions of some little apps were ommited during reinstall><; thank you for helping me realise this in a timely manner.

and yes, im going to back up my data, wipe the disk after, and install 10.3 correctly.

10. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

but as Mitthrawnuruodo pointed out no go on downgrade - re-install is the only way to be sure of a solid install

remember to back up your data and programs

11. knowhowthief thread starter macrumors newbie

i had been using 10.2 for eons...i habitually wiped my hd and reinstalled when i had some strange errors i couldnt fix. with the advent of a much new mac now, came alot of new apps (and ignorance). i needed dvds to back up my data/new programs/etc...i wanted to see what sort of dvd burning hardware i had...so i checked system profiler...fitting...

12. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

All the above assumes you've tried this already?

Navigate to ~(yourhome)/library/preferences/com.apple.systemprofiler.plist . Delete this file then log out and back in or restart and try again.

13. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

so on restart will that create a new plist file?

14. knowhowthief thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i tried that, -i actually looked for some related file at first.
    it doesnt exist.