System restore disk errors

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by ddrueckhammer, Aug 19, 2004.

1. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

My powerbook that I have had since may started acting a little slugish so I went online and found macdevcenter recommended repairing disk permissions and repairing the disk among other things...

Repairing the permissions went fine but when I inserted and booted from my powerbook software install and restore disk it did not lauch updater automatically. I opened the disk from my desktop and tried to launch the update OSX icon and a message came up stating something like "the mac OS X updater cannot be lauched because the file associated with this alias is missing" So I run the software update utility thinking that maybe a directory is missing off of my computer but when I run it is says that it cannot restore the software and gives and error 999.

I have installed several updates including the 10.3.5 update so I was wondering if that is why my factory install disks do not work...Its not a big thing becuase repairing the permissions seems to have fixed the slugishness however, it is troubleing because should I need to do a new install of the OS before Tiger comes out I guess my factory install disks won't work as well as I cant repair the disk at this point. Finally, I noticed that the icons for the alias for OSX update and OS9 Classic support update appear as Virtual PC icons on the cd...this seems strange as well...
    Any help or suggestions would greatly appreciated...

2. ddrueckhammer thread starter macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

i guess my factory software is just defective...This is the first time I have tried to use it...I ran disk utility on it verified the disk on dvd 1 for the installation software and it said that there is something wrong with the file structure. Any ideas on what I have to do to get apple to give me new factor installation software?