System Shock 1 For Mac

Discussion in 'Games' started by ooartist, Jun 28, 2004.

1. ooartist macrumors member

I know this is a very old game but I must have it. I played it way back in the day on the PC but never finished it. I am willing to pay top dollar for this game. Does anyone on this forum have a copy? If so let me know.

ooartist

2. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

System Shock 2 was so much better! Both great. Maybe use Virtual PC 7 when it eventually comes out? Although you'll need tonnes of RAM.

3. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

You can download the full game for free here:
    http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?gameid=1114
    As far as I know, this site collects old abandonware games.

You can then go download DOSBox (search google) and get the game running under OSX with full sound and everything!

4. vsp macrumors regular

Having enjoyed the first half of System Shock II, I downloaded the first game and DOSbox and a few other games. I've been able to get the other games to work just fine (Betrayal at Kondor and a few things like that) but I can't get the original System Shock to work. I keep getting DOS error codes stating I can't run the game from the CD and that I should run it from the hard drive.

I'm totally in the dark on how to set this up in a DOS emulator. Any suggestions or pointers from anyone who has done this.

Thanks
    Vince

5. Golem macrumors 6502

No clue but maybe its trying to write to something and because its read only/no permissions thinks that it is stored on a cd?

6. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

DOSBox can write to the disk perfectly. When I get home from work, i'll try to get SS1 working

7. monsquaz macrumors newbie

I got it working.
    But not the enhanced-CD version.

Here's what I did:
    1. I installed SS1 (which I got from the Underdogs) from within Virtual PC, which yielded a SSHOCK directory.

2. I then took the SSHOCK directory and copied it to my Mac HD.

3. Afterwards, I copied the CDROM folder from what had been the main CD directory (you should see it when you first extract the ZIP and placed it in the SSHOCK directory.
    Note: The CDROM folder is read/write protected. If you have admin access, enable read and write. Otherwise this all will not work.

4. I labeled the contents of the DATA folder of the CDROM folder before placing them in the DATA folder of the SSHOCK directory, in the case that something might go wrong, and I have to try something else. In which case I would need to know which files had belonged in the CDROM folder's DATA folder.
    (yes, this means there are two DATA folders, for those who are confused)
    Anyway, move or copy everything from the CDROM folder's DATA folder into SSHOCK's DATA folder except for two files:
    INTRO.RES
    OBJPROP.DAT

These two already exist in SSHOCK's DATA folder. There would be no point in replacing them.

5. I opened CYB.CFG and changed the CD Data directory path (cd_data_dir_path).
    I'm assuming as you do this, you put the SSHOCK directory on the desktop.
    Anyway, change cd_data_dir_path to this:
    /Users/[user]/Desktop/SSHOCK/DATA
    (where [user] is your username)

6. I moved CDSHOCK.EXE and SSHOCK.EXE and into the SSHOCK directory.

Eventually, things should look something like this:
    [​IMG]
    The SSHOCK directory is the leftmost one you can see. Notice the work I've done in the CDROM directory.

A closer look at SSHOCK directory's DATA folder:
    [​IMG]
    See the mix of labeled and unlabled files? Remember that the ones I've labeled blue are the ones from the DATA folder belonging to the CDROM directory.

7. Launch dOSbOX, select SSHOCK for the C: directory.
    8. Launch SSHOCK.EXE.
    9. Have fun... if you can get the thing running fast enough. The game is very sluggish. You can turn down the detail, but it isn't going to do much. Try fiddling with the frameskip and cycle controls, too.

There's a temporary solution. I apologize for the long-windedness. That's my nature.
    Until somebody can get their hands on a copy of SS1 for Mac and get it put on the Underdogs (which actually does have a few Mac games, so I'm sure they'd host it) or what have you, we're stuck with this.
    Admittedly I had once had it, but I accidentially tossed it. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

8. bobz macrumors newbie

There's an edonkey file sharing network link for Mac System Shock here:
    http://storm.campus.luth.se/lgclassics/README.html

You need an eDonkey2000 P2P client to get at it. Some clients: http://versiontracker.com/php/search.php?action=search&str=edonkey

I can't make the game run properly. It starts up just fine under classic, but when the game begins, the screen goes all screwy and doesn't update. It may be that this game only runs under OS 9 or earlier, which means modern Mac users like myself are screwed. I'll be interested to hear if anyone has more luck than I did.

9. monsquaz macrumors newbie

I do remember that when I did have SS1, it would work for me in OS 9 only. Sorry.
    I'm assuming that by "modern Macs", you mean you have a G5, and that you know that you can't boot from OS 9 on them.
    If so, try considering Basilisk II.

I'm a bit fortunate to be using an older G4 (G4 466 Digital Audio), so I can boot up in OS 9.

By the way, there are absolutely no sources for that eD2k link. If I'm correct, this means that there is nobody bothering to bring up the link so they can share the file.
    I checked a similar link a few weeks ago, and there still were no sources.
    Sorry to sound rude, but is anyone going to get on at all in the near future? This year?

Or am I inept as ever and just not doing something right?

10. vsp macrumors regular

I was away on vacation for a few weeks and haven't been spending much time checking in on the forums. Thanks for all the tips on getting the game running. Haven't been succussful yet but at least I got to try. I think I'll give up for the moment and move onto something new (such as seeing how many songs I can stuff on a 1G iPod I was just given).

Vince

11. panphage macrumors 6502

This damn game is incredibly rare. Ebay has a bunch of PC versions, abandonware sites have tons of sources for the PC version, but nowhere is the Mac version to be found. If anyone finds a copy, I'll buy it off you.

12. johnnowak macrumors 6502

Believe it or not, I have the game on CD somewhere. Pretty sure its the first version, not the second. It was a re-release as part of some bundle of old games. Got it in 1996 I think. I can look for it next time I'm in my old house if you'd like. Drop me an email... I rarely check the forums:

john at johnnowak.com

13. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

System Shock Can't be played with basislisk, since basilisk don't emulates ppc code. The system Reqs for SystemShock is ppc 601 (7100/80 recommended) and os 7.5.3.
    I still have the original disk :)

I can later on try to install it and running it under classic in panther.

-tb

14. panphage macrumors 6502

Well, I found a copy on ebay. Long and short is: it doesn't work. It installs just fine. It runs just fine on my admin account, when I try to run it from my normal user account it errors out: "A fatal error has occurred in System Shock. Error Code 16391. File error: Error creating initial game - likely insufficient disk space." Pretty sure this is because my regular user can't write to the Applications (Mac OS 9) folder. No big deal. When I run it as an admin, it has serious video issues. Basically it looks like the screen never refreshes. This guy explains it pretty well here: http://p197.ezboard.com/fmacnightowlmessageboardmacos9musings.showMessage?topicID=111.topic

It's getting to the point I'm considering getting a cube and a fast single proc upgrade and running os 9 on it. :)

Oh, and System Shock 2 doesn't work on VPC in case anyone is wondering. It installs flawlessly, the patch installs flawlessly, then it won't start because "your video card is not compatible with System Shock 2." Bummer. Why can't we get some 3d drivers for virtual pc? It doesn't seem impossible. I wish someone with some emulation or video driver knowledge would clue me in on why it can't be done.

15. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

The best way to get SS1 working is to run the DOS version through DOSBox. I've personally gotten it working, although you need a very fast mac to get good performance out of it. Unfortunatly, the Mac version of DOSbox only seems to have like 1/5th the performance of the PC version, if not less.

SS2 won't work under VPC because it requries 3d accelerator support. PPC -> x86 emulation is slow enough as it is, but having the processor also attempt to emulate a 3d accelerator would be slower than frozen sludge.

16. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

It installed just fine here, but doesn't work under Classic for me either.

Works just fine with SheepShaver though: gwenole.beauchesne.free.fr/sheepshaver/. However SheepShaver doesn't seem to do full screen on OS X yet, I don't think. However, with a little creativity and effort (messing around with resolutions, monitor settings, and getting rid of the desktop mouse pointer) it's possible to simulate it.

--Eric

17. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

By the way, this seems to be a pretty cool game...I've had it around for years but never really looked at it. (Got it included with another game from eBay or somewhere as an afterthought, and kind of forgot about it....)

--Eric

18. panphage macrumors 6502

Cool, thanks for the sheepsaver tip. I'll try that out. I don't need no stinking fullscreen.