System Sounds?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by DaBuzz, Jun 2, 2004.

1. DaBuzz macrumors member

DaBuzz

I apologize if this has been posted elsewhere...

For us former Windoze users, where are the Mac's system sounds stored, and in what format?

Thanks.

2. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

The default sounds are stored in /System/Library/Sounds, in aiff format. However, you should never change the contents of the System folder. If you want to add your own sounds, you can add them to one of the following folders:

a) /Library/Sounds (you may have to create the Sounds folder if it isn't already there) - Put them here if you want every user of the computer to be able to use them.
    b) Home/Library/Sounds (again, you may have to create the Sounds folder) - Put them here if you want only the current user to be able to use them.

3. DaBuzz thread starter macrumors member

DaBuzz

I did that. They are in ~/Library/Sounds, in System 7 format. Do they need to be converted to AIFF? They still don't show up in the Sounds preference pane.

4. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Yes, you will need to convert them. AFAIK aiff is the only format that will work. Many audio applications will be able to convert them, even iTunes.

5. DaBuzz thread starter macrumors member

DaBuzz

Ok, I've converted them...but they still do not show up in the Sounds Preference Pane or my apps. I put them in /Library/Sounds.

Don't tell me I need to reboot...(groan)

6. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

I don't know why they wouldn't appear, but try the following (sorry if some of the suggestions are obvious, but it's strange that they wouldn't even appear):

• Make sure that you've reopened System Preferences if you've had it open since putting the files in the Sounds folder
    • Ensure the spelling of the Sounds folder is correct and that the sounds' filenames end in either ".aif" or ".aiff"
    • Ensure that you have read or read/write access to the Sounds folder
    • Try putting the sounds in Home/Library/Sounds instead (not sure why this would make a difference, but it's worth a try)